New Girl from Indiana

sscully

Advanced Helper
...<snip>..
I did notice before that the paint on the g6 seems a lot softer than my previous 97 grand am and even the 99 gp paint is harder. Just goes to show how "cheap" the paint is getting, imo at least.

Up the page, you can see where it is not a case of hard paint, but sissy pants person ( attempting ) detailing the car.:-D

Thanks for the info, it will come in useful in the spring when I do the car again.
Now, got the tail end of that snow & more winter appropriate temps, you might have also been in from the lake. No point in trying to wash the car, it will freeze to the driveway.

S

Sal329

Welcome to the forums. There has been some great info posted on here. Great avatar I mean car pictures

danielle

Advanced Helper
Thanks for the welcomes!
I have learned alot from here, and the people are great.

Now, don't go getting your hopes up.....
But, tentative plans for trying at least 1 panel on the G6 is Sunday the 26th.
Its my next weekend off and I have no plans for that day as of yet.
So as long as the weather isn't awful and the shop at work is available, I'm gonna try it out.
Starting with (obviously after a good wash and clay) SSR2 on a white pad to see what happens.
I have 4" orange pads, (3) white pads, 1 blue and 2 reds.

I'm going to get some PP when I place my next order so that I can polish my new tips, get rid of water spots on windows, and polish some headlights and window moldings.
Is that the best thing for fine scratches on stainless steel tips?

danielle

Advanced Helper
Guess what folks??!!

Someone is starting on the G6 tomorrow!
I'll either put pictures in here or start a new thread in that section.

Be ready to hopefully be amazed tomorrow :)

danielle

Advanced Helper
Waiting to be amazed....
It won't be happening now...
Boyfriend called from work and was rather mean to me about it. Told me that the black car wasn't the smartest thing to try working on as my first job with the buffer.

So yeah, not very happy right now.
Might clean my car up if I'm still not ticked off in the morning.

I apologize for all of the false hopes all the time

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Well, if the buffer you were going to try out was a rotary buffer, I would agree with your boyfriend, but the Porter Cable you mentioned having should be rather safe. As long as you don't push too hard, lose balance and buff on the side of the pad, or stay on 1 spot too long when polishing there shouldn't be much worry. Also, start with mild pads and polishes and move up from there if needed. For example, if you were wanting to "get the feel" for the buffer, you could use a mild pad (like the black or red ones from some makers) and use a sealant with no correction abilities. This would be a very safe combo (which, by the way, wouldn't remove defects). It would allow you to get used to how the machine felt when running without the worry of burning through paint. Then, when confident, move on to polishes and polishing pads. But again, even after getting familiar with the machine, one should go with the mildest combo that will get the desired results. Remember, once the paint is gone, you can't get it back without re-painting. Don't use a tank to kill a mosquito.
The thinnest areas of paint are typically on edges, such as on creases or ends of panels (like the edge of the hood or door panel) so those areas should be looked after a bit more carefully.

As an aside, if your boyfriend is so concerned about you not being able to use the buffer without supervision, why has he not volunteered to help?

S

Sal329

That's the best to practice you can see everything. Sucks he was mean

sscully

Advanced Helper
Not too sure where he got that trying to work on a black car with a PC7424XP was a bad idea.

Found where you have 4 orange, 3 white pads, 1 black, 2 red, and 1 blue pads, skimming over, I could not find the size of them.

This is what you are correcting

IMAG0648.jpg

This is going could be a fair amount of time to get out using a white pad and SSR2 on a PC.

I was nowhere near that many defects on the '07 G6 electric blue, and I had to work an Optimum MF Polishing pad and Opti Polish ( had not gotten to trying PP at that time ) and I think it took 3 ( 4? ) passes to get it to 95% defect free. The Opti Mf pad is similar to a White LC pad.
- I have always used the pattern for a pass, posted by Merlin, so that pattern run on the paint is 1 pass. Add to this I am using a Flex not a PC, so it is forced rotation DA, won't stop spinning no matter how much down pressure you use.

Friend had to do a Denali that looked like that, he started with a compound & Purple foamed wool pad on a rotary with 2 to 3 passes. Later switched up to an orange pad on the rotary with compound to cut the correction down to 1 pass to be ready for polish. That Denali took him ~ 8 hours to correct going compound and then a polish round then LSP. He used some very aggressive compound as well.
Given there is a very good chance that the Pontiac clear and other GM product clears are very different, this gives you an idea of what it might take time wise to get those out.
To give you an idea, this is what Tom had going for him when he started :

DenaliDoorBefore.jpg

Given Tom is very well versed in a rotary, this is used to illustrate how long this might take to do with a PC7424XP.
A PC can do just about anything a Flex or rotary can do, it is just a matter of the amount of time to do it.

Unless you do something like put SSR2.5 on an orange pad, and hold the polisher slightly up so it will continually rotate with the oscillation on speed 6, you are not going to do anything bad to the paint. The part most wrong of this statement, is the mis application of SSR2.5 on Orange pad ( Steve noted this up the thread ).

Sure your weather was great yesterday, you missed out on a nice day, but more are coming.

When I did the trunk on the Mrs' G6, I cut it in half, and used that as a section to work on. Run some blue painters tape down the center of the trunk ( rear window to the lip of the trunk ), and use 2 strips of tape so you have room to over run and not work the other side in spots. and go at it. Start with the suggestions up the thread on SSR level and white pad, and have a go at it.

The PC will stop the rotational spinning if you press down too hard, it will have the motion of the Autozone 30.00 orbital buffer if you do this.

Working the paint I have found that it is easy to put marks into the clear ( depending on what you are doing ) but taking them out is not as easy, when using the correction combination of product & pad.

Make sure you mark a line on the backing plate so you can see if the pad is rotating.

Just keep in mind to start with the least aggressive and work you way up the aggressive tree. I know I am being too kind on it, but once I got into it, it took more than I thought it would. I really should have started with a light cutting pad. Once I do the full for the spring, I am going with a light cutting pad ( orange ) as a starting point.

This is not meant to be a recommendation on product pad combo, just an example of what you could be in for on the same paint.

I just did my sister's Honda yesterday, and it was not that bad. I took about 10 hours to do the complete exterior on it. A lot of marring in the paint, but not swirled up anywhere near that bad. I got pretty aggressive with pad & product on the flex to get correction on it.

danielle

Advanced Helper
He was happy with the results.
He did say thank you, so I guess that's the important part!

I get free mechanic fixes out of the deal :)