Cleaning leather seats question

How do I clean the perforated in the leather that has old build up conditioner clog the holes? Toothpick is last resort.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Try a soft bristle brush. Even a toothbrush can work. I find it helpful to have a variety of small brushes of varying firmness on hand. "Tougher" brushes for scrubbing tires, engines,carpets, seats etc. as well as softer, longer bristles and longer handle brushes for delicate work like cleaning vents, I keep the brushes separated so I don't use the tire or engine brush on the carpet or seats.

You can even get rubber bristle brushes. These are good for pet hair. (Not magically efficient, but they work.) Also, rubber brushes are fairly easy to clean after use.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
and if you are using Natural Look, if you rub really well with a coarse cotton cloth on application, it will clean the residue from past products :)

Try a soft bristle brush. Even a toothbrush can work. I find it helpful to have a variety of small brushes of varying firmness on hand. "Tougher" brushes for scrubbing tires, engines,carpets, seats etc. as well as softer, longer bristles and longer handle brushes for delicate work like cleaning vents, I keep the brushes separated so I don't use the tire or engine brush on the carpet or seats.

You can even get rubber bristle brushes. These are good for pet hair. (Not magically efficient, but they work.) Also, rubber brushes are fairly easy to clean after use.

I have the Swissvax leather brush, a scrub brush for leather from Autogeek. They seem to be to stiff and harsh for leather and a Kiwi brush which is to soft to do anything. I'm trying to find a nice brush something that has great cleaning ability but gentle on the leather. If you know of a good brush please reply. Thanks for the reply!

and if you are using Natural Look, if you rub really well with a coarse cotton cloth on application, it will clean the residue from past products :)

Do you the Natural Look dwell a little to help soften the old conditioner and gunk and then wipe or spray and wipe? When wiping off do you gentle or do you use some force or pressure? Do you a good source for cotton towels, around here there alot of crappy cotton towels floating around? Thanks for the reply!

BigLeegr

Staff member
If you are doing just maintenance cleaning, you don't need to let it dwell much. If you are doing a more restorative cleaning (such as removing old product left behind from previous cleanings) I recommend letting it dwell a bit before removal. It will help loosen the residue.
When doing deep cleaning scrubbing action will usually be needed to break the residue free.
As to the quality of the towels, in this case "crappy" towels will likely work better that "luxury" towels. The coarser the towel the more scrubbing action you will get. You probably want to avoid the ones you can see through, though. Also, get the type with loops, not flat/smooth "shop towels."
For the brushes, you may find some good ones in the shoe shine area of a store. An actual shoe cleaning brush would be good (as opposed to a polish dauber or the little brushes given in the dollar store sets). You may need to go to a shoe store rather than a department store for these, depending on what you have around you.

Today I went to the cobbler to see what kind of shoes brush they have and all they had was the soft Kiwi brush. Do you know if the Polish Angel leather leather brush is firm or to soft?

BigLeegr

Staff member
I don't know about that brush, but if it is good for cleaning shoes, it should also work on leather seats. You don't want it to be too stiff as it may scuff the finish otherwise.

I guess I just have to look around locally to see if I can find a stiffer or more of a dense or a thick pack boars hair brush. Buying online you don't know what you going to get.

Thanks for the replies much appreciated!