A somewhat slimmer Scott P

Scott P

Advanced Helper
Gravy is much better on fries than mustard. Then again, if you are eating fries, you aren't exactly worried about the sugar content of your ketchup. :)

I'm currently giving a trial run to Beachbody's Shakeology. The wifey likes it for breakfast since it comes in at about 200 calories and keeps her full all morning. I still get a tad hungry by lunch. I usually have a post workout shake and then a regular breakfast. I'm still doing the post workout shake, but replacing breakfast with the shake stuff. It takes about 200 calories out of my diet. The hardest thing I am having issues with is keeping my fat calories down low enough. Fortunately, the fat I usually get comes from olive oil, nuts and fish, so it's actually somewhat beneficial.

I fit my old size 34 shorts now and my 36's have been moved to the top of the shelf. They may make it into our upcoming garage sale.

NINaudio

Advanced Helper
I've lost 20 pounds since the end of July as well. =) Been eating less crap and working out more. I think I've now reached the point where my weight will stabilize as I add muscle and lose fat, so I am watching how my clothes fit instead of the scale.

Scott P

Advanced Helper
I've hit 35 pounds lost so far. My original goal was to lose 40 pounds by my fortieth birthday. I have just under four weeks to hit that number. I'll have to slip in some more exercise and Shakeology so I can blow past it. My new goal is to hit 170 pounds. The new P90X2 ships at the end of the year and I need to be ready for that. It's become almost an obsession.I've taken 10 mile bike rides a couple times per week in addition to my regular workouts. I have to pass Steve's big 60 lbs. lost.

For those of you that are interested, BeachBody has some great deals starting November 1st tied to their newest BeachBody Challenge. You get one of their premier programs, Shakeology, 30 days of Club Membership and free shipping ($20 savings) for $205, a $45 savings (plus the shipping savings). You can get a jump on the holiday calories too. No use waiting until January 1st. I need some other folks to workout with and keep me going. You won't be waxing this winter since the Great White North will be getting a heavy winter.

Scott P

Advanced Helper
Ok, I took some pictures as part of my Day 60 measurements for this round. These shorts were very snug in May when I started doing the whole P90X thing:

IMG_1570.jpg

Still have 15-20 pounds to go. It's been almost six months, but it doesn't feel like it. But I feel better than I have in a long time.

GearHead_1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Feel kinda funny saying this to another man but you look good. Doesn't look like those shorts are yours.

Last edited:
T

Twister

Good for you for sticking to it Scott

I noticed some of my clothes have been getting a little tighter. I counted calories last week. By lunch time I almos used up all of my daily allowance. After a few days I got better and I didn't use all of the calories I could. I was told that wasn't a good thing for some reason.

Now I have to commit to stick to it. When I started my currant job I lost almost 50 pounds in a couple months. I was so active I couldn't take in enough calories to keep up with what I was burning. Now I've gained it all back and then some.

Scott P

Advanced Helper
GearHead...I liked your original comment. No shame in complimenting another man. You didn't have to edit it.

Twister...If you want help or advice, just let me know. I've learned quite a bit during this journey.

GearHead_1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
GearHead...I liked your original comment. No shame in complimenting another man. You didn't have to edit it.

Twister...If you want help or advice, just let me know. I've learned quite a bit during this journey.
O.K. I put it back in. I thought you might think I'm a bit strange. ;) I would take what ever wisdom you can share. I've kind of stopped losing lbs. and would still like to lose 10 more right around my midsection (I've lost 41 lbs.). I know I need exercise beyond just the walking 5 miles a day that I'm currently doing. My issue is simply too many artificial and bad joints. These prohibit me from doing the types of things that would help me. I can't bend or twist at the waist because of the fused back. I can't lift with my fake shoulder or bend too much with my fake knee. My ankle is screwed together and doesn't move well either. People have told me that Yoga is the answer but I couldn't even begin to get into some of the positions I've seen them do. Seriously it's pitiful to watch me get up from off the ground. I just don't know what more to do but am open to suggestions. I can walk a long ways and that's what I've done to this point.

Scott P

Advanced Helper
Are you tracking what you are eating? Losing weight requires you to eat less calories than you burn. Five miles per day is a good amount of calories, so adjusting your diet may be all you need.

GearHead_1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Are you tracking what you are eating? Losing weight requires you to eat less calories than you burn. Five miles per day is a good amount of calories, so adjusting your diet may be all you need.

No and I realize there is room for improvement in this area. I'm very fortunate in the sense that I don't get hungry like most people. I literally eat one meal each day. Usually around 4 p.m. It isn't a large meal and is usually healthy from most peoples perspective. That said. I like to have a snow cone around 7 p.m. each evening while I watch Frazier. It's a sugar hit that I don't need. The only reason I've been able to lose the weight that I have is simply because I've cut my volume roughly in half and can walk a very long way.

Scott P

Advanced Helper
Look up the website myfitnesspal.com. Create an account and enter your data. It will come up with a calorie goal. You can also enter your walking to get an idea of your calorie burn. It would be neat to see what your calories look like on a daily basis.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
back from Vegas and most people were quite amazed at my weight loss ... yes, Gearhead after a while it seems to slow down, but it shouldn't stop ... I only lost 5 more since my last Dr. visit but the cardiologist was still impressed that it was going in the right direction.
Yes Scott you look great and stop showing off :smt108 or we will rename you Jared :D j/k ;)
Most of us older guys are not going to do those kind of exercises Scott .. man we are old and hurting.. three days walking around Vegas and SEMA and my hip, foot and ankles felt like they were ready to explode. It's not just out of shape, it's plain old!!
Mark I used to think one meal a day was a good plan, but I was wrong. Since going to at least 3 meals and a snack or two a day (without counting any stinkin' calories, but no sugar) I have more energy, feel less hungry all the time, and weight drops because your body is no longer thinking it has to store fat for when you are not eating. Strange thought, but after carefully thinking about it, it makes sense.

GearHead_1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Mark I used to think one meal a day was a good plan, but I was wrong. Since going to at least 3 meals and a snack or two a day (without counting any stinkin' calories, but no sugar) I have more energy, feel less hungry all the time, and weight drops because your body is no longer thinking it has to store fat for when you are not eating. Strange thought, but after carefully thinking about it, it makes sense.

No argument here as I know that what you are suggesting is the common practice in weight loss. That said, I don't eat breakfast just can't do it. It's been that way ever since I had my gallbladder removed. Even if I wanted to it just isn't happening and that includes something like a fruit smoothie, I'm not hungry at lunch time though I could eat without any problems by around noon. As I mentioned I don't experience hunger pains the way most people do. I know I've went too far if I start to get a headache. My stomach also bothers me if I eat in the evening, a snow cone or fruit juice seems to be OK. So it is what it is and has morfed to one reasonable meal each day. I have a snack occasionally but certainly not regularly and I'm not really scared to eat. It just kind of works for me. I have no doubt there are still a number of ways I can reduce calories and I could certainly use more green vegetables though I don't much care for them.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I don't know if i eat a green veg other than lettuce or cucumbers if they count ... lol
At the beginning it is almost force feeding to eat that often for me. I never counted a calorie but there is also no fruit allowed into my diet or any other sugar products. I really think that sugar is our enemy not calories or fat.

Scott P

Advanced Helper
I hit 42 pounds lost as of Saturday. I start another round of P90X on Monday. I should be buffed, ripped and have a six pack by spring. Since The Situation is already taken, I may just call myself The Circumstance.

Scott P

Advanced Helper
Warrior Dash East Texas

I ran my first ever 5k in the form of a monster obstacle course on Saturday. I had five weeks to prepare, but a leg strain, sinus infection and general procrastination meant I got no running training in for the event. I had targeted 45:00 as my time goal since it was the median time for my age group in last year's event. I couldn't get any friends to run with me, so I did it by myself. I just picked out guys or girls running at my pace and kept up with them.

We got about 4-5 inches of rain last weekend, so I think part of the course was flooded. Much of the water was up past my waist and even to my chest in spots. It's just impossible to "run" in that stuff. Also, there was a lot of sticky mud. People were losing shoes constantly. Plus, one wrong step sent your leg flying. Not exactly safe conditions for a good running time.

The first real obstacle (other than the mud and water pits) was the Barricade Breakdown. It involved alternating between climbing over 3 or so ft high walls and crawling under boards that were maybe two feet off the ground. You did this probably five times each. Other obstacles included a trench were you had to crawl under some 2x4's. I was turning everything into a P90X move. Crawling in the trench was like those **** Chaturanga runs. My knees never touched the bottom of the trench. You had a wall at a 60 degree angle with a knotted rope that you had to climb up, then climb down a ladder of boards. There was a floating dock across water. I had big two foot steps that led to a fireman's pole to slide down. You also had a water slide of wet tarp down a nice slope into water. There was a 15-20' tall wall you had to climb up with a knotted rope. There were cleats to get toe holds on, so it wasn't as scary as it looked. I also got o jump over fire and crawl in muddy water under real barbed wire. A final mud hill was the last obstacle before the finish line.

I ended up at 45:03, about three seconds short of my goal. Just a few less feet of walking and more jogging would have gotten me there. I finished 103 out of 364 in my age group and 1,413 out of 7,200 overall. Not bad for a 40 year old on his first time out and not doing any actual running training. Had I run the whole thing, I could have cut five minutes off easy.

Here are a few pics the wife took while I was running:

IMG_1704.jpg

Me at the start of the race

IMG_1706.jpg

The Cargo Net

IMG_1709.jpg

The Slippery Slope

IMG_1715.jpg

Me jumping over the fire

IMG_1716.jpg

Look! I'm running!

IMG_1719.jpg

Avoiding the barbed wire

IMG_1723.jpg

I am a Warrior!

I had a lot of fun at the race. I will have a group going next year for sure. It looks to be a lot of fun with a group of friends. I would not have even though about doing something like this last year. But thanks to P90X, TurboFire and now P90X2, I'm down almost 50 lbs and looking to do crazy athletic stuff like this all the time. I wore my HRM to time myself and see how my heart was doing. It averaged 190 with a max of 200 something. Next year I'll have a GoPro Hero camera on my head to record the whole thing.

GearHead_1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Scott,

So you're lapping the woman in the "jumping over the fire" pic, right? :smt041

I'm kidding of course. Great job. I wish for nothing more than to play around of golf once again or to go running. I've asked my doctor about the running and his reply was simply, "you can run with those artificial knees as long as you don't mind coming in again with a splintered leg bone". Pretty well took care of that question, so I walk. :smt009