Any thought to a glass cleaner.

G

Greg2

I've just done some more testing, on the glass screen of my TV. I'm sorry but I just cannot achieve such an easy wipe off like you describe.
Yes, if the cloth which is being used to do the initial cleaning/wiping is dry enough, with some buffing, it will all come off. But I do have to *buff*.
If the cloth starts to become a bit damp, I find it best to switch to a seperate cloth to do the final buffing, and it is buffing off very easily in this perhaps slightly artificial test case.

Anyway, look - I do like the product - it is quite close to what I want, and is probably the best I have tried yet.

Greg.
p.s I applaud Poorboys for allowing us to discuss your products right here on your main web site - the fact that you have the confidence to do this makes me take your products very seriously - thanks.

G

Greg2

I just sprayed the TV screen again, and then let it dry. This of course left quite a bit of residue. I then attempted to buff away this residue with a clean dry cloth - it was coming off, but only moderately easily. I then spritzed a bit of water over it, and then continued to buff - it now came off much easier. I then repeated the test, but after it dried, I started with the spritz of water, and then buffed. Again, it came off very easily. So it appears to me that the residue is able to be very easily removed with a light spray of water. (or presumably a cloth dampened with water would work just as well). Since the product is water based to begin with, this is hardly surprising. :)

I don't know how much residue I am truly removing, and how much I am simply spreading around. But if I can't *see* any streaking, I don't mind much either way.

Greg.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
You may want to practice on a bathroom mirror to figure how much you need to spray. I still think it may have to do with the towel not being absorbant enough :smt102 ....and since it is a water based product, you might even try taking some aside in another bottle and diluting it 20-30% and see how that works for you. I can tell you this is one product that can have a learning curve for a specific user, but once you've found YOUR best method, you will find the product indespecible. :)

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Poorboy said:
.and since it is a water based product, you might even try taking some aside in another bottle and diluting it 20-30% and see how that works for you.
I guess I'm kinda cheap, in that I dilute it 50% for glass. :smt053
(But that wouldn't be for really bad windows either.)

G

Greg2

Most of it does come off, but not quite all. There is a small, subtle amount of residual streaking. I think it is a big ask for 100% of the product to be removed with just one wipe. Nevertheless, I will repeat the test with a cotton cloth and see what happens.

I think if somehow, *all* the ingredients in a product like this could be made to evaporate, it would take it that last little step. (I haven't even found a glass cleaner like this yet - I have a glass cleaner on order which purports to evaporate 100%, but I'll believe it when I see it) Even distilled water leaves a tiny tiny amount of residue if it is left to dry naturally - perhaps from impurities in the container - I don't know.

Note that I find that when I do these tests on the vehicle glass, I generally find that the results aren't as good. The products seem to kind of stick to the auto glass more - they don't come off quite as easily. Might be something to do with the grade that the auto glass is polished to?

Greg.

G

Greg2

FWIW, I've tried wiping the S&W off with a terry cloth, and it does not leave a streak free finish for me with just one wipe. Again, though, it only takes a bit of buffing to remove all visible streaks. (I used the TV screen again - just one little spritz)

Greg.

G

Greg2

I've been using it some more on the glass. I have been having good success achieving a streak free windscreen, even without diluting it. I just follow up with a clean dry cloth, and I haven't had to buff all that much. As I said earlier, it is great the way my MF cloths glide over the surface so easily after using the S&W - normally, they grab badly, making them very difficult to use indeed. (they have to be sort of dragged across, otherwise they crumple up - this problem disappears completely with the S&W)

However, I've run into a snag. As soon as I use the wipers, it streaks badly. I have tested another similar product recently and the same thing happened with it too. I think the problem is that whilst the glass can be buffed to a streak free finish, there is still a film remaining, and the wipers cause it to streak. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Greg.