Any thought to a glass cleaner.

rabbi

I am really interested in a glass cleaner that makes my windows sparkle like Natty's makes my paint shine.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
rabbi said:
I am really interested in a glass cleaner that makes my windows sparkle like Natty's makes my paint shine.

try Spray and Wipe or Spray & Gloss with a glass towel

G

GTScott

I started using SnW on the glass when I was out of the shop handing over a new car and realized the glass was streaked like crazy. Even in the sun, the SnW did a GREAT job. Given the conditions, I don't think my normal glass cleaner would have done nearly as well.

-GT

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Just remember for best results on glass..use a very slight amount of Spray and Wipe, then let the microfiber do it's job:D

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Or, if you can't control yourself and still keep using too much, you can dilute it to 50/50 with water. Or, so I've heard... :p

G

Greg2

So, what happens if a lot of S&W is used? Is it difficult to buff off completely?

How about when it's left to dry - is it then difficult to remove from the glass?

The reason for asking these questions is that I am looking for a very easy to use waterless wash product, which does not necessarily require thorough drying immediately, and which if there is some overspray on the glass, is easy to buff off (even if left to dry first), without having to use a solvent.

Greg.

BigLeegr

Staff member
If left to dry, it would leave marks (smears, spray pattern, etc, but nothing permanent), but if you were to use another (light) spritz or even a moist cloth, followed by a dry one, you could wipe it off. S+W is water based, so you wouldn't need to use solvents to remove it (Unlike some other waterless washes).
S+W isn't a "wash and wax" type product, so it doesn't require time to dry on the surface first. You just spray it on, let it "work" for a few seconds, then wipe it off.
If you use too much, you may get some streaks, depending on how well you buff, the absorbancy of the towel, etc. but it's not like you'll permanently damage the glass or paint.
Hope this helps!

G

Greg2

Thanks for the info.

I realise that it does not need to dry, but I was wondering what happened if it were left to dry, due to poor/lazy technique, or, due to using it in the sun, where it may dry rapidly before it can be wiped dry.

Greg.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Greg2 said:
Thanks for the info.

I realise that it does not need to dry, but I was wondering what happened if it were left to dry, due to poor/lazy technique, or, due to using it in the sun, where it may dry rapidly before it can be wiped dry.

Greg.

Like Bigleegr said, it will buff right off without a problem...we have used it in temperatures over 110* and the worst case scenario is a little more to buff with a clean microfiber or towel.

G

Greg2

Well, I have some S&W now, and unfortunately, it's too difficult to *completely* buff off for my liking on the glass. Even after very thorough buffing, it seems to leave the glass feeling slick, which is nice because the cloths glide effortlessly over the glass, however, it's just too much effort to completely remove all streaks.

Is the product designed to leave a thin film, by the way?

I wish there were a spray & wipe product like this which completely evaporated away. Sort of like water. :p

For now, I'm reverting back to using plain water, when mobile, to clean my glass, and then finishing off with a glass cleaner, only when absolutely necessary. (even glass cleaners can be a bit difficult to buff off completely actually)

For the painted surfaces I am less concerned about a small amount of residual streaking, so I'm quite happy using the S&W on the paint.

Greg.

G

Greg2

An Australian brand (Aquatouch) "Super Soft" microfibre towel. I use one towel to clean with, and another clean dry towel to buff with.

Note that the glass appears streak free at first, but when the light is at the "right" angle, it shows up.

With enough buffing, I can get it streak free. However, I do not want to do this regularly - too much work.

Note that I do inspect very closely. When I am at home, I usually clean my car in the dark, using a good quality head torch which emits a wide, even, bright beam. This is excellent for seeing even the slightest streaking. (I have to take the headtorch off my head to show up streaking on the middle of the windscreen and rear window though - for these areas I have to hold the torch out and point the light straight down at the glass. This is because I cannot position my head/eyes directly over those areas and look straight down at the glass) Anyhow, if the glass passes this close inspection, I am pretty much guranteed that when I take the car out and drive into a low set sun, that I will not see any streaking. (driving in to a low set sun seems to be the very best test for a clean windscreen)

Note that I have not yet found a QD/WW product which is easy to use on the glass.

I will be using the S&W regularly on the painted surfaces though for the time being at least - just placed a large order. :)

Greg.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
You may also want to try spritzing (very slight amount) directly to the cloth, not enough to even dampen the cloth, and then buff. I'm not familiar with the towels you are using, but I think by your description they are quality cloths made in Korea? The towel also must be absorbant, if not then it will cause streaking as it drags the S&W vs. sucking it up with the dirt.

G

Greg2

Yes, that is correct - they are made in Korea. They have a medium grade of plushness, I think. (despite the "Super Soft" in their title, I don't really think they are quite that "super" in softnes). There is, I believe, one grade of plushness above this one, called "Ultra Soft", but they are only "ultra soft" on one side - they are not the same on both sides. (I've never used the ultra soft cloths)

Thanks for the advice.

Greg.

BigLeegr

Staff member
I tend to prefer lower nap towels for glass. Waffle Weave towels are pretty good for glass too, I think. I find that the more plush the towels are, the more streaking may occur. If your towels are plush on 1 side, and not very plush on the other, maybe try using only the non-plush side for the glass. :smt102

G

Greg2

Thanks Bigleegr. My cloths are the same on both sides - I'm trying to standardise on one kind of cloth for just about everything, too. I don't really consider my cloths to be all that "plush". I'm probably not going to experiment with a lower nap for the time being.

Is S&W actually intended to leave a thin film behind, for an anti-static effect or whatever?

Greg.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Not really ...you probably need to use less than you have been. You should be able to clean 6-8 cars per 16oz bottle...How many can you do?

G

Greg2

I suspect that I'm using more than that - hard to be sure though. I'll try to use less.

Two other things I will try are:
1. Buffing it dry as quickly as I possibly can. This will mean that I do smaller areas at a time, too.
2. If I notice some dried streaks, try using a towel dampened with water, rather than S&W to buff it off. (although this is becoming a bit more tedious than I want. When I'm on the road, I want to keep the process as simple and quick as possible, and also minimise the number of different products and cloths that I need. I''m a chauffeur driver and often do very quick touchups inbetween bookings)

Greg.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I suspect that you are using too much, a light mist and a light swipe should be all you need to do. no rubbing or muscles should be involved. the weight of your towel being light wiped over the surface should be all the work involved with no residue remaining or streaking.