would you take the job or Run?

Beercan31

Advanced Helper
It feels like a hundred years since I started a post, so bare with me.

I would like your input

Detailing is a hobby for me; it’s a lucrative hobby that pays for itself.
I have a few customers who only allow me to touch their cars.

Customer wanted a Tandem dump truck done, front clip and cab only, no interior, no dump body, to try to match the 2 doors that were repainted and lettered 2 yrs ago. The truck was repainted years ago and he stated it showed spots where the paint was thinning and some peeling.
Would you take the job?
He also stated not to go crazy over it, just see what you could do.
Would you take the job?
At first glance seeing the truck I thought it was painted "Flat Red" the complete front clip was nothing but dead red paint not a glimmer of shine to be found. It also had pin stripes and an American flag all hand painted.
Would you take the job or Run?
2012-06-16_08-46-15_204.jpg

2012-06-16_08-46-32_206.jpg

After the first bath that took 2 1/2 hrs my rinse bucket had so much silt and sand on the bottom I could make concrete. And no red/dead paint in the wash water or rinse water or on the cheap throw away microfiber.
Yes the truck was washed twice top to bottom.
Would you still take the job?
2012-06-16_10-30-11_295.jpg

2012-06-16_10-30-16_502.jpg

After attempting to clay the hood (painted fiberglass) I did a 12x12 area and the dime sized piece of clay folded 7 times or more was totally wasted and used up.
Would you still take the job or would you run away?
2012-06-16_11-36-08_854.jpg

2012-06-16_11-35-54_368.jpg

After trying 2 different polishes and pad combos I came up with this combo that worked best with what I brought with me.
SSr 1 with a white polishing pad.
I was able to polish out 1/2 the hood before the pad was clogged and needed washing, in fact I had to wash out the pad 9 times on the whole job. It really sucked when I was standing on the engine when the pad clogged up and I had about an 8x8 area to go.
2012-06-16_16-05-07_813.jpg

2012-06-16_19-04-18_131.jpg

2012-06-16_19-04-31_722.jpg

Supplies used on the job
4oz. Super Slick & Suds
1qt. Bio-degradable degreaser (APC)
1qt. Spray & Rinse
1qt. Super Swirl Remover - SSR1
1 throw away microfiber
4 16"x27" Deluxe Mega-Mega Towel (polish wipe down)
3 16"x16" Deluxe Mega Towel (DMT)
1White Polishing Pad 5.5VC pad (not sure if I can recover this pad)

you think i might have a chance for the Car of the Month?

G

Gus-Gus

I would take the job without a doubt... but i would prolly charge the guy 400 bucks for it... just for the high flying antics alone.. :)

Nourah

Woman of the World
I'd be running for the hills, but you stuck it out & did an amazing job!!

Love the reflections!

:smt061

P

Pockets

Nice turnaround Rich! Looks awesome and I'd say that pad would be shot haha

Did you try using Polish w/ carnauba or Pro Polish? Those seem to work the best on Oxidation on Gel coats like that

Beercan31

Advanced Helper
Nice turnaround Rich! Looks awesome and I'd say that pad would be shot haha

Did you try using Polish w/ carnauba or Pro Polish? Those seem to work the best on Oxidation on Gel coats like that

Chris or Steve

The write-up was very basic, I did not write all the steps I tried before going with SSR1 and dumping the clay. don't get me wrong I really like Pro Polish it's a main staple in my collection but i wanted a little more cut than Pro Polish. I needed to get this done and I knew from the start it was going to be a long day "up the ladder..left, right, up down" down the ladder move the ladder up the ladder " left, right, up down"(repeat as necessary) kinda day, I was on the job for 12 hrs as it was and I did leave to get more SSR1 and a sandwich, I only had my sample bottles with me. but it was still a long day.