Waterspots

R

Rob

Don't you hate 'em? The worst is when you take every precaution and still they appear! I had just finished polishing out my car and had 3 coats of EX-P and a coat of EX which took almost 1.5 weeks to apply (but totally worth it, thanks for the tip Marj!) and I was getting read for a coat of Natty's Blue. It had rained and I had some road debris so I gave the car a quick and light wash. We have heavy water and well, you can guess the rest. Look carefully they are hard to photograph but impossible to miss in person!
Waterspots.JPG

Waterspots2.JPG

So I tried a MF towel soaked in water to remove them, Spray & Gloss, and Spray & Wipe - all without even fading the spots. I was totally frustrated and was trying to decide if I should strip it and start over to polish them out.... or live with them. Being my demo car, I could NOT have waterspots on it so I was backed in a corner. Then I got a crazy idea. Applying a little chemistry, I decided to dilute Spray & Rinse 1:5 in water and spray some on then lightly buff with a plush towel. I wiped it clean and take a look...

Spots_gone.JPG

NO SPOTS!!!!!

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I don't think the pictures are big enough :roll: :smt021 :smt011 :smt115 can they be made smaller :?:

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
I'm not a chemist, but wouldn't this get rid of any LSP you had as well as the spots? Did you re-wax? If so, would a quick shot of QW+ or PwC fix this also and save the extra waxing step?

R

Rob

Good questions BigLeegr. Fact is, I'm not entirely sure. LSP's are by nature designed to (when dry or cured) resist water. The concept of the S&R diluted in water is to dissolve the salts deposited by hose water. So at first I'm inclined to say no... but I do not know the entire formula of S&R and it may contain strong detergents (which are still clearcoat safe) or other chems that could strip the LSP's off. What I can tell you is that you see the before and after without intermediate steps. Just the S&R and a quick MF toweling. I did add a coat of Natty's blue (OOOOH BABY!) afterwards and I don't perceive a difference between areas I treated and areas I did not treat (vertical panels ran off during washing/rinsing). Perhaps Steve could shed some light.
That said, I am all about a quick shot of QW+.... BUT I steered away from polish to avoid removing the sealant layers.
ALSO, I don't believe QW+ does anything to waterspots. Perhaps more folks may try it (even more diluted?) and post results then we can reach a concensus..?

R

Rob

Oh and Steve, they are about 30% original size, still too big? This picture posting deal is still new to me. Thanks for your patience!