Washing inbetween EX-P layers?

G

Greg2

Hi,
If I were to layer EX-P, but needed to drive the car between layers, how should I wash/prep the surface for the next layer?

Thanks,
Greg.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
If you're talking re-coat after 24 hours, no rain/snow/driving through mud, I'd say just a S+W and you're good to go. If you've gone mud bogging/off roading/etc. in the meantime, I would expect there to be a bit more prep required. :p
Basically, as long as you have a clean surface, you're good to go! (IMHO)

G

Greg2

Thanks BigLeegr. I've been wondering just how clean the surface would need to be for the subsequent layers to bond properly. For example, even if the surface only had a bit of dust, and plain water were used to clean it, would the minerals in the water which were left behind interfere with the bonding?

Greg.

BigLeegr

Staff member
Mineral residue-not likely. If you were concerned with this, buy some distilled/filtered water. Not that expensive at some places.
Scratches left behind from the dirt if cleaned without proper lubrication- that would be disheartening. You get more lubrication with the S+W than plain water. I'd go this route anyway, but it's your car, so you may be able to clean it well enough with just water.
Using S+W instead of water/wash also means that you don't end up with water dripping out of cracks etc. while you're waxing.
Let us know what you decide/how well it turns out!

G

Greg2

Ok, so if S&W were used, wouldn't this leave some residue, and could that interfere with the bonding? I understand/agree about the lubrication and cleaning power of the S&W, but there would undoubtedly be some S&W residue left behind.......

BigLeegr

Staff member
According to Steve, Nope! :p (At least not enough to do any noticable "damage.")

G

Greg2

Thanks again (who's Steve though - is he from PB?)

EDIT: Ok, a quick seach reveals that Steve is in fact the/a spokesman for Poorboys - I'm new here. :)

I'd be interested in reading what Steve has to say on this topic - I'll try a search now but if anyone knows the link (assuming it is available here somewhere) I'd appreciate it.....

Cheers,
Greg.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Can't get much better advise than from Bigleegr :lol:

As long as it is clean, whether shampoo wash or Spray and Wipe you should be fine. :D