That smooth touch

P

puddle jumper

I used brand new fine clay bar (four star), I did each panel twice with clay, used Pro-polish,washed, then two coats of EXP. Then, later in the week top off with two coats of natty red. With my fingers it feels nice and smooth. But, with the plastic bag test, I feel a spot here and there on each panel. Am I being too much of a perfectionist? Is there a clay trick I'm missing? Thanks for any suggestions.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Were the spots there after applying the Natty's? The EXP? If not, then they are fresh. Things like rail dust/brake dust, sap and such will constantly be adhering to the paint. You'll need to keep cleaning them off. Such is life.

If they were there before, then you needed to still keep claying before waxing. However, since it's been topped with sealant and wax, unless you just can't sleep anymore knowing there is some contamination on the paint, I'd leave it until the next time I prepped the paint, and make sure I did the plastic test as I went along, before waxing.

P

puddle jumper

Thanks Big L. for quick reply, I guess next time I'll have clay in one hand, and plastic bag over the other! I assume that multi time of claying will not do any harm to the clearcoat? I also thought that pro polish with a polishing pad would get what I missed with clay? :?

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
As long as you aren't rubbing hard claying a second time shouldn't hurt your paint.
Polish can help, but if it could remove contaminants as well as clay, there wouldn't be any need for clay. :)