Temperature Tolerance?

danielle

Advanced Helper
So, mom has been on my case for awhile now about how my car stuff takes up way to much space in the basement.
I got a little 3 drawer box, but it has since become to small thanks to my new-found addiction.
Dad got a new toolbox couple years ago and recently said I could use the old bottom chest if I wanted for my car stuff.
It would work great I think, keep the bottles in zip locks and lay them flat. Plenty of space for the PC and all my towels and such.

Here's the question:
This chest would be out in the non-insulated barn (concrete floor).
How will Poorboy's stuff take being in the freezing winter temps?

I could probably wrap it in a big trash bag or plastic wrap to keep some of the moisture out, but other than that...it'll be pretty unprotected.
If this means shaking product extra long when detail time comes around, I'm ok with that. I could probably even get away with bringing 1 box of liquids back in during the winter if its that big of a deal.
Spray and wipe is the most liquid(y) one I have, rest are ssr's, wd and such.
Also, keep in mind that I do not go thru this stuff like wild fire, so it'll will last me awhile. I only have 2 cars to do at the moment. (turnover is low, if that matters anyways)

If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

rabbi

How cold does it get in your basement? I've kept my stuff in the basement (and bedroom) for years. I've never had a problem with products freezing.

danielle

Advanced Helper
The basement is as warm as the house. They need to get out of the basement tho. It does get below freezing in the barn.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
barn is not a good idea unless you have cellar in the barn that might be a bit warmer

danielle

Advanced Helper
Yeah, there's no cellar or anything.
I'll probably move it all out there for the warmer months and sneak a box in the basement when its cold.
My collection is pretty bad :/ lol

sscully

Advanced Helper
I don;t have this issue, but if you have a broken furnace and are concerned about the product freezing... I guess using body heat to save it is in order ???:smt107

Maybe it is a case of broken furnace and you are using your quart bottle of pro polish, heated, as a hot water bottle ?:smt082

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
At the risk of reviving an old thread, is the general rule when an area (lets say the garage) gets below freezing then it is time to move liquids indoors? As long as it is above 32 deg can they stay in the garage?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
At the risk of reviving an old thread, is the general rule when an area (lets say the garage) gets below freezing then it is time to move liquids indoors? As long as it is above 32 deg can they stay in the garage?

we usually tell people to keep them in the same temperature that you would like to sleep in ... it basically covers the hot/cold questions ... we keep the warehouse between 65-72 year round...

rickp001

Helper
FWIW, i have all of my Chemical products in a 18x12" box. Something that small might fit at the bottom of your closet.

I'm not sure how much stuff you have, but maybe just pick the delicate chemicals and bring those in the house.

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
I have a bit more than I can fit in a a 18x12 box...not quite hoarder level but one day If I really work at it then maybe :p

BTW I asked around a few forums and the one comment that got me to move my stuff indoors mentioned products are vulnerable to temp change more than an overall low temp.