Stepped up the lighting

Scott P

Advanced Helper
Last week or so, the ballast went taking out one of the two 4 ft bulbs lighting my garage. Rather than spend $30 on a new ballast, I decided to install some fixtures I picked up on clearance at Lowes last year. I have four fixtures with four 4' bulbs, giving me the potential for 16 total bulbs worth of light. I only installed two bulbs in each fixture so far, but the difference is fantastic. It took me a day or so worth of work and climbing up and down a ladder. Getting them to line up side to side and front to back was fun. I wanted them on a separate circuit, but there was no way I was going to be able to fish a new line to the switch. So, one switch now gives me 288 watts of light. Once I get around in installing the rest of the bulbs, I'll be at 512 watts. Big difference for sure. I have the 5000k Natural bulbs and like the look.

DSCN0740_zpsfe0f7647.jpg

DSCN0739_zps991acd71.jpg

I plan on removing the middle fixture since it is the one with only one bulb working. I'd replace it with another one, but I want it to match the rest. That might take a while to find.

heck

Advanced Helper
Nothing better than Good lights, when detailing inside.

Many times my work looks perfect, then when I pull it outside the flaws show in the sunlight.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Nothing better than Good lights, when detailing inside.

Many times my work looks perfect, then when I pull it outside the flaws show in the sunlight.

I prefer to detail outside in the sun for that very reason .. !!

Scott now that you have all that light, what are you going to do with it? lol

RANDAL

RIP our Friendly Farmer
What are your new bases and bulbs? T8 orT12? The center one is easy if its got the larger T12 bulbs, just buy new shop light fixture and mount in its place. They even make shop light 2 bulb fixtures in the shop light. Your going to ask T8? T12? they are both flourescent bulbs but require diierent ballasts to operate. T8 32 watts to equal the 40 watts the T12 puts out. T8s start easy in cold climate, doesnt effect scott as hes in Texas. They are phasing out the manufacture of the T12 bulbs just like US made incadescent bulbs. Ive got a supplier for used T12 bulbs right now so I have about 20 on hand and only places for 18 if they all went bad at one time. Id like to update 3-4 of them to T8 for cold starting in the winter, but they started alright at 10 degrees so far.

Scott P

Advanced Helper
The new fixtures are T-8. The old one was T-12. I can get a replacement T-8 electronic ballast from Lowes for $16. The problem is that I want the center fixture to match. I want it to have the smooth plastic diffuser. I can make a couple oak end caps myself out of scrap. I can find plenty of 2 bulb 4 ft T-8 units for $20-$30, that is not the problem. I am just being obnoxiously anal and figured if I was going through all this work, they should at least match. The fixtures that have the smooth diffuser and smooth end caps are closer to $60 locally.

RANDAL

RIP our Friendly Farmer
I just left the diffusers/covers off as mine are hanging at 14' in a large 54x86 foot building. More light available. The fixtures Ive got up were installed in a building in 1979 or 1980. Id like to have T-8 fixtures but I dont run these often enough to make a diierence.

sscully

Advanced Helper
I am in the process of converting my 2 bulb 8' HO fixtures to the 48" Phillips EnduraLED bulbs.
- No ballast, bulbs run off line voltage.

Did the cloud fixture in the laundry room already ( 2 bulb 4' ) and after the retrofit I turned it on without the cloud cover on, and it was bright.
With the cloud cover on the fixture, I can see the water marks on the top of the white washer & dryer.
Post%2520Retro%2520-%2520no%2520Flash.JPG

Figure I am going to cover half the cost of the retro fit on selling the new bulbs I won't need anymore ( have new GE 8' SP35 bulbs in the joists in the basement ).
Garage is it, no more FL bulbs in the house. Kitchen got converted to recessed LED fixtures from Cree ( that is the drywall project in the picture, finishing patching the ceiling in the kitchen )