Steam

T

tmacsad

Hey guy's, I've been hearing a lot about cleaning with steam. I would like to know if any of you use steam to clean with? If so, what are the pros and cons?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
we have used steam mostly on convertible tops, but it is really not great for the material ... the pros in my experience would be no scrubbing on material , the con would be you really need agitation sometimes to get deeper dirt out ...

T

tmacsad

Thanks Steve! I've had a bunch of people asking me about it, and was curious about the hype surrounding steam. Also, have someone trying to sell me a steam machine, and really not wanting to waste money on something that doesn't work.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Thanks Steve! I've had a bunch of people asking me about it, and was curious about the hype surrounding steam. Also, have someone trying to sell me a steam machine, and really not wanting to waste money on something that doesn't work.

it does have it's place in a detailer's arsenal, but it's not going to change the way you detail ... the more tools to make your work easier is always better ;)

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
out of curiosity are you talking about spot cleaning or using one of those large steam powered eco washers?

I've used a hand held steamer for interior and engine bay spot cleaning mainly on really greasy spots. Usually wrapping a mf towel around the end of the steamers brush so you can change to a clean section often. I might use it 2% of the time.

I've seen some great detailing with steam from other forums but it seems like it is a go big or go home kind of thing. i.e. as an enthusiast the little household steamers are cheaply made and don't hold enough hot water; the professional ones are way out of my price range. just my .02

T

tmacsad

out of curiosity are you talking about spot cleaning or using one of those large steam powered eco washers?

I've used a hand held steamer for interior and engine bay spot cleaning mainly on really greasy spots. Usually wrapping a mf towel around the end of the steamers brush so you can change to a clean section often. I might use it 2% of the time.

I've seen some great detailing with steam from other forums but it seems like it is a go big or go home kind of thing. i.e. as an enthusiast the little household steamers are cheaply made and don't hold enough hot water; the professional ones are way out of my price range. just my .02

Thanks for the info Rex! I agree with you on the price tag on the professional machines. :smt103