SSR 2 or 2.5?

O

OIF Vet

I bought SSR 2.5 and I don't know if I should have bought SSR 2 instead. I own a 2005 black Dodge Ram with about 15,000 miles on it. I have a bunch of swirls on there that I want to get out. I was planning on using the 2.5 with an orange pad but I noticed that in some posts, people only use 2.5 on older vehicles. Am I good with the 2.5 or am I going to mess up my paint? Thanks.

L

littlemissGTO

I used SSR 2.5 w/and orange pad and SSR1 w/a white pad on a 2004 GTO that full of swirl marks. It turned out great.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
An orange pad is likely to induce some haze (especially noticeable on black) regardless of whether you use 2 or 2.5. But by following up with a polishing pad and SSR1 you should be able to smooth things out.
If your paint is soft, you may be able to work the swirls out with 2.5 and a polishing pad and not need to go to the orange. You could try a test spot with this combo first, then go to the orange pad if needed. Be prepared for multiple applications if your swirls are bad, though.

budman3

BigLeegr said:
If your paint is soft, you may be able to work the swirls out with 2.5 and a polishing pad and not need to go to the orange. You could try a test spot with this combo first, then go to the orange pad if needed. Be prepared for multiple applications if your swirls are bad, though.

I agree. A polishing pad and SSR2.5 will remove a ton of swirls. If you need a little more bite, an orange light cut pad will also do the trick. But remember that it may not finish off 100%.