Spider Webs vs. Swirls?

F

FreeBIZZ

Can anyone explain the difference in appearance and cause between Spider Webs and Swirls?

I have a new red VW GTI that I just detailed with clay, PB PWC-Blue, and PB EX-2 coats, and in bright sunlight I can see some very fine lines, not round circles. Would these be webs? I cannot get them to show in a picture, but I have posted pics at :
http://www.detailcity.org/forums/the-de ... etail.html

What is the best way to either mask or remove these fine lines? I have the following products available, and have a PC with ornage, white, black and blue pads.

3M Finesse-It
PB SSR2.5
PB SSR1
Klasse AIO

I really don't want to order any more prod., but would consider buying something OTC to correct this problem. It's too bad you can't see them in the pics.........you can only see them in bright lite up close. At first I thought they were what everone calls swirls, but as I look more, the shape is not a swirl shape, and the lines are super-fine.

Your input/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

V

VroomVroom

I think your arsenal is fine. I've learned to start with the least abrasive product and pad, but I'm not sure SSR1 will remove those fine swirls. I'd recommend SSR2.5 with a light cut pad. If need be you can either try multiple passes or a harsher pad.

awd330

Advanced Helper
Spider webbing is a type of micromarring that looks like circular spider webs. Typically, these are noticeable in certain angles of lighting. As you move your head back and forth to look at your panels, you will see these as fine concentric circles. This type of damage can be minimized by using proper washing/drying techniques and high quality mitts/towels.

Swirls are buffer marks made by improper use of a rotary polisher. These are also referred to as holograms. I would describe them as squiggly lines about half an inch in width. Normally, they will appear in long lines with a zig-zag pattern.

People often use the terms interchangeably which causes confusion. The same type of confusion often occurs with the terms Polish and Wax. They are not the same, but many people think they mean the same thing.

Regarding your situation, I would try using SSR1 on a polishing pad at speed 5+. Do this on one panel, and see if the marks are reduced or eliminated. If they're gone, great. You can go right to EX. If there is some improvement but marks are still there, try a second pass with SSR1. If there is no noticeable improvement, step up to SSR2.5 with a polishing pad at speed 5.5. Make sure you work the product thoroughly until it breaks down and almost disappears.

Beercan31

Advanced Helper
if the light scratches are in a line.... try looking at your washing and product removal technique. one or both my need to be modified to eliminate the micro-marring your experiencing.

F

FreeBIZZ

Beercan31 said:
if the light scratches are in a line.... try looking at your washing and product removal technique. one or both my need to be modified to eliminate the micro-marring your experiencing.

thanks, Rich. I think there are (2) possibilities for what happened here......

-"your washing and product removal technique"---
1-I used a "cheaper" mf towel to remove the 2nd coat of EX....
2-I had been using a Cal. duster for lite dust in between washes

I have decided that, for now, I'm not going the SSR ruote to take thses out------they are so minor. It has been suggested that I use a masking-type of glaze or product that will hide these lines.

anyone know if Poorboys makes a hiding product that I can put on top of EX? What about on top of Natty's Blue which is what I will be putting on the car tomorrow?

thanks

F

FreeBIZZ

poorboy said:
two or three coats of Natty's Blue will give you good hiding ability :)

thanks for the fast response. this could turn out great for me as I plan to apply Natty;s tomorrow, and didn't want to buy any more prod. right now----i'm loaded~!

i'll put a couple coats on and see how it works at hiding the lite spiders