SHOWDOWN: Pinnacle Black Onyx Gel v. Poorboy's Bold N Bright v. Optimum Tire Shine

P

photog_gabe

Hello my fellow memberss, I recently received sample bottles of tire dressings and thought to myself that there's no better way to compare them than in an old fashion showdown. My go to tire dressing has been Poorboy's B&B for about 9 months now and have gotten great results. As great as it is, my curiosity got me thinking how well it could compare to other tire dressings that I've heard great things about by the pro's in this great forum. Well, lets get started.

Please excuse my dirty car and wheel. I had no motivation to do a full wash on my car and was just anxious to get started with the showdown. First things first, no tire dressing touches my tires without the tire being properly cleaned. I did a thorough cleaning using Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner until white suds confirmed it was ready to go.

Dried the tire using my Metro Blaster Sidekick. It was dry in seconds.

Using painter's tape, I divided the tire into 3 sections and cut a stained but clean foam applicator into 3 pieces to make sure not to cross contaminate between dressings. This pic shows 1 coat of each dressing applied to the tire.

The following pics are 50/50 shots of the dressings. Each section of the tire has 2 coats of dressing.

I'll be updating this thread as the days go by so keep checking in if you're interested in the results. Thanks for letting me part of this great community.

ronkh

Da King
I did a showdown a while back too
CIMG0134.jpg

P

photog_gabe

Here's a 3 day update. I am not satisfied with the pictures as they don't look sharp to me. I didn't use my tripod on this set due to being in a hurry and wanted to take pics before the sun went down.

You can't really tell in the pictures but Pinnacle has the darkest gloss. In second place I have Poorboy's and not too far behind is Optimum. I was surprised to see more dust on Optimum's dressing compared to the other two. I will take better pictures tomorrow using my tripod. Honestly, all three dressings are holding up pretty well. You just can't lose with any of them.

P

photog_gabe

Day 4 update! First, I'd like to say that I absolutely hate taking pictures of tires. Focusing in on them is a PITA and it seems like I can never get all the details in the rubber. I try to capture what I see with my eyes but that is hard to do for me. Nevertheless, I try my hardest to capture what I see so you guys can see for yourself which dressing is doing a better job.

I'll give you my thoughts on the three dressings so far after the pics.

Now for my thoughts on each dressing...

Pinnacle - No doubt this dressing is the shiniest on the day 4 but not the kind of shine I like. For some reason it produces a purplish shine on direct sunlight. You can see on some of the pictures what I'm talking about. No doubt it makes my tires shiny but it doesn't produce the darkness that I love.

Poorboy's - This dressing has really held the darkness on my tire. It is not shiny like the Pinnacle dressing but it is much more darker. My tire just looks clean and fresh. I don't know if my tire is just used to months and months of PB BnB since it's my go to dressing but it just seems to give it the best look so far. I'd also like to remind everyone that I did thoroughly cleaned my tire before applying all dressings.

Optimum - This dressing looked the best out of the gate. Had a great shine and darkness was definitely there. On day 4, however, it is a mixture of Pinnacle and PB. What I mean by that is, it has a hint of shine and darkness. It is the only dressing that has both qualities. The shine and darkness it produces isn't as shiny as Pinnacle and isn't as dark as the PB dressing. It meets both of them in the middle. Not sure if you can tell in the pictures but this dressing is also the dustiest out of the three.

I will continue to keep you guys updated. My next update will be on day 7 unless something awkward happens and have to take pictures.

P

Pockets

Cool comparison are the Optimum and Pinnacle water based as well?

P

photog_gabe

Day 9 update! I think this will be the conclusion of this showoff. All 3 products did a superb job but there can only be one winner. I know it can be tough to see in pictures but here is the order of what I thought looked best.

1. Poorboy's Bold N Bright (Spray)
2. Optimum Tire Shine (Spray)
3. Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel

See for yourself and you be the judge. I just think PB BnB produced the darkest black tire with a nice sheen to it. Very inexpensive and a little goes a long way. Sounds like a winner in my book. I would also like to add i drove a total of 50 miles in the 9 days and it's been sunny the entire time.

I plan on still using other tire dressings out there including the ones I already have.