• Natural Wax?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Man made Sealants?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
H

Hammer3.8

Hey,

I have a dark green '99 Mustang with swirls and light scratches. I'm suing SSR but was wondering people's preference for topping it off. Natural waxes? or Man made sealants?? . I've gotten some advice so far and these are the steps:

1. SSR 2.5
2. SSR 2

Option A
3A. Professional Polish
4A. EX-P sealant

Option B
3B. Polish w/carnuba (blue version)
4B. Natty's Paste (blue version)

Has anyone ever put a coat of Naty's over EX-P? Would that give the long lasting reflective quality of the sealant and the wet depth look of the Natty's??

Help!?!

G

George

Has anyone ever put a coat of Naty's over EX-P? Would that give the long lasting reflective quality of the sealant and the wet depth look of the Natty's??

You just about answered your own question. It is very common to layer a wax over sealant to enjoy longer protection as well as the added depth and gloss of a natural wax. EX-P w/ Natty's Blue is a great combo!

I always follow up 2.5 or 2 with SSR 1 though, I don't know if you have that on your list. It tends to clean up any hazing and/or micro marring left behind and really brings the paint to the surface.

George

awd330

Advanced Helper
There are dozens of possible combos to try with Poorboy's polishes, sealants, and waxes. Each will provide different looks with different colors. Some will be glossier, some brighter, some clearer, and others will have more depth. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You may also need to take durability into account. The most durable will be SSR1 or Pro Polish followed by multiple coats of EX-P and no carnauba topper.

Try to decide which type of "look" you'd like to achieve. If you want metallic flake to pop, choose the clearest and brightest products (pro polish, EX-P, Natty's white). If you want deep pools of rich gloss, choose the warmest looking products (SSR1, EX, Natty's Blue). For something in between, try PwC (blue or white) followed by a Natty's (blue or white) topper.

One of the best traits of Poorboy's products is that they easily mix and match. Try different combos on different car panels and see what appeals to you.

B

belcherm58

I just applied 2 coats of EX and topped woth Nattys Blue. I have a
1998 Toyota Tacoma with the Red Pearl Mist ( Metalic Burgandy) and
it is absolutly the deepest dark pool of color that I have ever seen this
paint look. I plan on several coats of Nattys blue over the sealant to
deepen the look. I applied the EX to the whole truck in the sun on a
65 degree day and waited 24 hrs for 2nd coat of EX. The truck stayed dry
for the 24hrs. I then waited 2 days before topping with the Nattys Blue.
I must say that I am inpressed with Poorboys products and am trying
everything they make.

V

VroomVroom

^ Awesome!

Sealants offer great durability and they also make metallic finishes 'pop'. My Dad has a black Toyota, and I've found EX-P topped with NB to be the perfect combo.

H

Hammer3.8

Thanks everyone! Looks like I'm going to try the EX-P followed by Natty's Blue. I'll have to post the results in a couple weeks.

Cheers!

R

Rob

I say BOTH sealants AND waxes!!!!!!!!!!

Marj you mentioned that wax over EX-P has decreased durability? I would have thought it to have increased durability. Could you expand on this topic more?

awd330

Advanced Helper
Rob said:
I say BOTH sealants AND waxes!!!!!!!!!!

Marj you mentioned that wax over EX-P has decreased durability? I would have thought it to have increased durability. Could you expand on this topic more?
Carnauba wax products normally utilize carrier solvents to make them easier to apply. This is especially true of liquid carnaubas. For maximum durability, top sealants with more layers of sealant rather than carnauba. If maximum durability is not a requirement, then use whatever looks best to your eyes. Personally, I like carnauba toppers.

Beercan31

Advanced Helper
My choice was not there!

I like both.

I will use a sealant under a wax,
Why?... you ask..... glad you did....
I Like the longevity of a sealant and it gives a great rich wet look to dark colors....but beading it not like a Carnauba Wax.... a sealant beading will be larger, much larger than a Carnauba Wax, so if time permits i will apply a paste wax (natty's Blue) over a sealant giving me the best of both worlds, with a little added protection.

R

Rob

Beercan31 said:
My choice was not there!

I like both.

I will use a sealant under a wax,
Why?... you ask..... glad you did....
I Like the longevity of a sealant and it gives a great rich wet look to dark colors....but beading it not like a Carnauba Wax.... a sealant beading will be larger, much larger than a Carnauba Wax, so if time permits i will apply a paste wax (natty's Blue) over a sealant giving me the best of both worlds, with a little added protection.

I am in 100% agreement. I like 2-3 coats EX-P for a base. Then 1 coat EX to get wax in then top it with Natty's (blue in my case). The results are eye-popping!