Questions for a small start up in Detailing

Matth

Advanced Helper
So I would like to try and make some money out of my hobby/passion. I have been procrastinating over doing this for a couple years but i really
think I can make some extra cash detailing and eventually maybe even grow to a full time gig. My plan for now would be to go to the persons house adn work on the car there, no major paint correction but some "sprucing " up, removing swirls etc.

Whats the best way to approach people and offer them a service? I deal with some wealthy people now with what i do but to start soliciting myself to them would be a bit much.

Looking for any ideas. :smt104:smt115

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
I always tell people to look into the local laws before they start something like this. Make sure you *can* make some money at a hobby.

Some areas have laws requiring a business license, insurance, and even specific zoning laws about where you can be based out of. (The zoning laws are a bit of a gray area, I think, as there seems to be no worries over someone teaching piano out of their house or selling Avon or Pampered Chef type stuff.)

Anyway, I suggest checking out all the legal stuff before you start "soliciting yourself."

W

wallywax

Talk to and mention your services to every single person you meet or come across. Always give 110 percent. When ever a customer comes outside and watches me work for a few minutes that is the deal breaker. They are always like WOW that is some good and hard work you are doing!

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
i wouldn't worry too much about licenses, NJ is not big on extra paperwork , but insurance would be a good thing. in the old days a paint job could be 150-200 for a panel, today it could cost a thousand. Doing it at people's homes is no problem. Doing it at their work could be one!

Matth

Advanced Helper
I was definitely going to get Insurance, the last thing I want is to shell out for a paint job.

I have no problem giving 100% for a client ( it's not possible to give a 110% :mrgreen:)

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I was definitely going to get Insurance, the last thing I want is to shell out for a paint job.

I have no problem giving 100% for a client ( it's not possible to give a 110% :mrgreen:)

then you should be fine .. i worked at private houses in NJ for years without a problem