Problem with PB Wheel Sealant.

J

jay25rs

Last year I bought a brand new set of Volk wheels in bronze color. I applied Poor Boy's wheel sealant and created a problem... The spokes of my wheels have a mild textured finish to them and they are slightly hazed over from the wheel sealant.

The lip of the wheel is smooth and looks great with the sealant but the deep color is now diluted from the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant.

So my question is, What can I use to strip off the wheel sealant without damaging an $800+ wheel?

I've tried Griots Garage Wheel cleaner, Griots Paint Prep, 3m Adhesive remover on microfiber, agitation with a soft bristle tooth brush, diluted Simple Green, Dawn.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I would try a liquid polish like Pro Polish or Polish w/ Sealant, but the Wheel Sealant really isn't strong enough to withstand most of the products you have already mentioned but to remove the haze it probably needs a bit of polishing :)

J

jay25rs

Poorboy said:
I would try a liquid polish like Pro Polish or Polish w/ Sealant, but the Wheel Sealant really isn't strong enough to withstand most of the products you have already mentioned but to remove the haze it probably needs a bit of polishing :)

Thanks for the input! The only problem with polishing is that I fear it will leave behind residue as well. Think of the finish on the spokes as about a fine grit sand paper. (almost like the dimpled finish of sand cast aluminum. Do you think that polish will still work OK on that kind of surface?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
yes , you can polish it but you'll need to use coarse cotton to get into those areas and maybe a very nylon brush or toothbrush for agitation while removing

J

jay25rs

Poorboy said:
yes , you can polish it but you'll need to use coarse cotton to get into those areas and maybe a very nylon brush or toothbrush for agitation while removing

Thanks... I'm ordering up some Pro Polish... What would you recommend as a sealant/ wax for the wheels once I use the Polish?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
use the Wheel Sealant on the smooth areas, then use just soap and water to maintain the grainy areas... QD+ or Spray and Gloss could also be used :wink: