Poorboy's fan from the UK

N

Neston_Vasey

Hi,

I'm Neston Vasey otherwise known as Andy, I live between the cities of Liverpool and Chester in the United Kingdom. I'm a big Ford fan, Liverpool FC fan and a fanatic of a clean car. I've been keeping automobiles clean for the best part of 20 years, however it's only been in the last 6 years I've took it to another level.

I've moved on from the usual supermarket distributed products, that tend to be all-in-one silicone enriched products that manage to last all of 5 minutes right to the highly distributed 'known' brands in the UK. (Those in the UK will know what is sold in the common orange & black signed car / bike distributer / superstores).

I then started looking in to things, I wanted a great look and durability with easy application and removal, not to mention it needed to be at an affordable price.

In the UK the leading motoring publications can't tell the difference between a polish and a wax, so in a supply and demand culture getting the right product it a bit of a task.........unless the internet is used. The UK have a tendancy to use a local hand wash that costs around $6, for that you get a young chap jet washing your car, then dragging a sponge from a large bucket of dirty water across your paint, followed by another nice chap using a dirty blade and a chamois leather around your car. For another $6 you can even get them to add a spray wax. If we 'in the UK' don't go the local hand wash, it's a bucket with some washing up liquid in the bottom of it, and if the automobile is lucky it gets some $1 wax obtained from our local favorite supermarket.

As the world is still in the grip of a depression there is a small movement from UK's fast and furious modification culture (thanks to increasing gas prices and insurance premiums), over to the craze of detailing (valeting as it's known in the UK), this means there are many people seeking 'reflection prefection' on all manner of automobiles, and living the the mud covered and rainy UK this is a challange............however a well maintained car looks the part in the 1000's of unloved metal on our roads.

Spe******t brands have now started to appear across the internet, even communities of like minded detailers have cropped up sharing best practice on the usage of products. Amongst the clatter of opinions I kept hearing of Poorboys, it seemed to be a brand people used, loved, rated, reccomended and then switched to something 10 times the price as curiosity and others opinions lead them astray. However after 4 years of using Poorboys products (as well as testing other brands) I keep comming back to Poorboys thanks to the results I get match those I've got from products that have cost far more!

Ok, back the the useless UK's national motoring press. Poorboys was tested this year against other products. The outright winner was a synthetic cleaner / sealer (apparently this had the best reflection, shine and durability), Poorboys........well they rated the best wax as Polish with Carnauba with Professional Polish giving the same results, Natty's failed as a wax as it cost to much and they didn't like that it was hard (guess these guy's can't tell the difference between a hard wax and a paste!). This test by the leading publication has been blasted by the UK community of detailers thanks to them obviously not knowing the difference between polish and wax, however try convincing that to the UK's brainwashed public that are still in belief that washing up liquid is great for your paint, and the best protection from the elements and abrasives is a coat of silicone spray on gloss.

Rite.........i'll draw a close to my OP!

I'm a bit passionate about my automobile and how and what I clean it with, so much so I've just started to distribute Poorboy's in the UK as a small side line to supliment my need for clean. I say side line as by day I work as an Engineer in the Aerospace Industry working for a Wichita based aircraft manufacturer.

My mode of transport is a 2005 Ford Mondeo ST220 (3.0 V6), I think in the USA it's the SVT (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

anyway........

298548_10150327390012968_692817967_8179287_1054580275_n.jpg

Thanks for reading my ramblings, hope to help and be helped on Poorboy's products in the future.

Andy.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Hi Andy and Welcome to our forum :smt006 We have quite a following in the UK, I wish more would come and contribute like you :)

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
I read that review where PP was rated as highly as a wax. (it was a couple years ago, wasn't it?)
I rolled my eyes.

N

Neston_Vasey

I read that review where PP was rated as highly as a wax. (it was a couple years ago, wasn't it?)
I rolled my eyes.

The original artical was wrote in 2007, however it's still their main link to how well polishes work on protecting your car. There are more up to date articals but they still don't rate Natty's Paste Wax as a good polish!!!! (Haven't a clue why!??!?!).

SSR2 got a mention as a good swirl remover, however they struggled to apply and remove by hand (because that's how the UK roll), but they mentioned that with a buffing machine it's a very good product.
If you then venture over to the polishing machine section, their product of the year ends up as some supermarket branded sub $50 2 handled jobbie, so I'm guessing thats what they used in the test on SSR2.

If you tell them they are wrong, you end up with a load of old twaddle about them using a professional to conduct the tests in a controlled enviroment, however they never inform you of how the panel was prepared proir to testing or what the controlled enviroment was. Total ignornace by a bunch of foolish arrogant journalists who are not allowed to get it wrong for their millions of readers, I'd even go as far as saying that the test was conducted by a professional from the winning brand of polish wax polish gloss (what ever they want to class it as) stuff that won.

On a positive note, there was a nice test done in the UK on a horse box, prepared by one independant person with a multitude of waxes, Natty's started very well, faded slightly and then stayed put for the entire test, beating waxes that are classed as a 'winter' wax, even out doing some very expensive waxes. It was a supprise to many how well Natty's did as everyone's usual favorite durable wax dropped off before it.

Anyway enough of me for now, thanks for the welcome Guys. I'm sure I'll be back with more words from across the pond, enjoy the last day of 2011 and lets hope 2012 is a better year for all. ;)

N

Neston_Vasey

Welcome to the crew! Glad to have you here cool car!!

Cheers Mr Pockets,

I'll get some more pictures up once the weather in the UK improves (don't hold your breath!).

I'll pop over to the Poorboy's Bragging Forum to show my 3 month test.