Need some help choosing a dual action machine....for a NEWB.....

I have lots of experience with using a random orbital machine applying wax. Now I see people using the Porter Cable, Flex, Meguiar's, and Griot's dual action setups for applying and removing wax.

I have zero experience with a dual action machine. I need to start somewhere. I want to get a good machine to start off with so I almost bought the Meguiar's Dual Action twice but I hesitated. I didn't know what I needed as far as pads or any other accessories.

Please help me get into using a DA.

BJohnson

Advanced Helper
If you can swing it I would get a Flex! They are a bit pricey but worth it. Steve a.k.a. Poorboy will give you a good deal on one.

heck

Advanced Helper
Flex- the best of the best
Griot's- lifetime warranty, can use 6' pads
PC- most popular works with 5" pads
Meguiar's- redesigned and hear good things

sscully

Advanced Helper
I just went around with the DA machine selection.

Save yourself the trouble, get the Flex ( if the money is available ). You will have a great unit that can do more defect removal than a PC, Griot's or Meguiar's machine. It does cost ~ 2.5x more.

I had a PC that was "liberated" from the work shop to use on the vehicles, replaced the shop unit with a Makita BO6040 6"

2010 I started looking for a replacement, the PC7424 was ~ 15+ years old, and felt like it was going to come apart in my hands ( it did quite a bit of work in the shop before changing roles and I had been through 1 set of brushes on it ).

I got the Meguiar's G110 ( not the V2 from the SN ) and I was less than impressed with it. It did not seem to do any better than my old PC. The G110V2 might be better, but I think the reviews on the G110 were from the name sake only, had nothing to do with someone owning both as active units in the same condition. The G100 was just an OEM'd PC7424.

I started looking again, and in DEC-2011 decided on another PC ( the 7424XP ) to replace PC. I made this decision due to an incorrect thought that I was going to change to the Lake County 1 Pad system. Found out after the fact, those are really for rotary machines, so I made a goof ( I needed the backing plate to be removable - RTFM on my part ).

I went back and compared getting a Rotary with a Dynabrade selectable orbital attachment or a Flex.
The Dynabrade you can stall the pad on, where the Flex you cannot, it has a forced rotation to the DA action.

The Rotary function, if need be I can use the Makita BO604 in rotary mode ( it still has some DA mode to it in rotary mode - which I am staying away from until I get some experience on a test hood or 2 ), and even though the flex is about 75.00 more than the rotary ( good one ) and Dynabrade option, I still went that route.

The opinion ( non expert ) from someone that owns a PC ( 2 - the old standard 7424 and a 7424XP ) a Meguiar's ( not the V2 ) and a Flex, get the Flex.

If the Flex price tag is a bit high, save the $ and get the PC. From the hype around the G110, I personally don't trust the reviews on the G110V2.

heck

Advanced Helper
I think it depends on how many cars you will detailing.
I have a Griot's with 25 foot cord, but I only do detailing on the weekend and not every weekend at that so the Griots works fine for my application.

Thanks for the info.

Now.....

What size backing plate and the size and type of pads are best to use for polishing and applying liquid wax. If I'm correct the black and white colored pads are what I need to use for a new car or paint that is like new correct?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
that depends on which machine you use ... on the Flex it's 5.5 and the Red Flex VC pad ... on the PC I use the 6.5" Red VC

Kind of embarrassed to say.....but I bought a cheapo until I can get some money together to get a Flex from you guys. Its a Drillmaster model I picked up from Harbor Freight.

Some info about it:

- Polisher/sander includes 7" hook-and-loop backing pad, foam pad, two sanding discs (60 and 240 grit), terry polishing bonnet
- Universal 5/8''-11 TPI spindle
- Spindle lock for easy pad changes

I'll have to use this for starting out. I just want to replace the backing plate and get pads that I need for this for now.

heck

Advanced Helper
Nothing wrong with direct drive machine. You must have a higher level of skill to operate and get excellent results.

If you have never used direct direct, I stayed with a Dual action machine to learn with it will remove swirls and not burn the paint. After I had mastered a DA I moved on with direct drive buffer.

I currently have both, but my go to machine is my DA

Hope this helps you, there is a learning curve to any equipment.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I'm going to return the Drillmaster. I still won't be able to buy a Flex. I'm going to look for something cheaper.

good idea ... the PC (porter cable 7424xp) is a good machine and well worth the price ... we carry one to bring to shows, but you can get one at Coastal Tools pretty cheap and free shipping... I would not get it with their backing plate as it is the old style without the rivets ... those we have with better pads :)

S

Sal329

I got my Griota DA from tooltopia for 97 shipped. I use 5.5" pads mostly use microfiber pads since summer time.

Went ahead and ordered a Porter Cable 7424 XP.

The cars I will be detailing have good to excellent paint. What brand pads are recommended for light swirl removal to apply cleaner waxes to liquid waxes?

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
My vote is for a couple of orange and white pads either ccs of flat in 5.5 in. I say a couple as I am just starting out in machine polishing and it quickly became apparent how much of a pain it is to stop every couple of section passes to clean pads when you only own two of the color you are using. Lake country makes great pads. I would stay away from the new hi-gloss ones though. I have had a lot of issues with them even though my regular lake country pads have held up well. Just my opinion .02

heck

Advanced Helper
I agree, I would start with Three orange,three white, and three black. Congrats on a excellent DA you be very happy!

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Went ahead and ordered a Porter Cable 7424 XP.

The cars I will be detailing have good to excellent paint. What brand pads are recommended for light swirl removal to apply cleaner waxes to liquid waxes?

for that use, I would stick to White, Black, & Red ... no need to use cutting pads with cleaner waxes or liquid waxes ;)

Thanks for the help. I haven't even used any of the products I purchased yet. Now that I know I got a good DA on the way. Its worth the wait.

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
Stick with 5.5 and you will have plenty of power and you woln't have the risk of the machine bogging down with a bigger pad. Also although it is not required at first you may want to eventually grow your collection of tools and consider a 3in backing plate and pads for those tough to reach areas.