Need help

C

CEJ93

A friend of mine has a 2002 VW Passat and we were going to do some polishing on it yesterday. Well; we clayed the entire car and it felt nice and smooth as expected. I ASSUMED clay barring would pull any wax/sealants off of the finish. Well, I put some polish on the trunk with the pc and it was almost impossible to get off of the car. I was careful not to use too much product as he mentioned having this issue before; I eventually got the product off ok but thought let me check something. I sprayed the door with water that I hadn't put any polish or anything on and it beaded the water like it had multiple coats of sealant/wax on it even after I clayed it. Is that normal? Any thoughts on what to do to take whatever sealant/wax that is on it off?

J

JohnnyB

Wash the car with dish detergent, others may prefer another method. I prefer dawn as it is not too harsh. It should do a pretty good job removing the wax and sealant. Dont wash with it later down the road if plan on keeping the wax and or sealant as it will take it right off. Hope that helps you out.

C

CEJ93

Thanks for the advice; I had originally planned to wash it with dish detergent and forgot......I'll have to give it a try. :)

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Just wondering if it isn't actually wax and maybe some tire spray or something that's oversprayed onto the paint? Typically clay should remove most if not all the wax. The silicones in a tire spray may be a different matter. You may need a body solvent to remove that.

Just a thought. I don't know for sure.

C

CEJ93

Well, he said he took it some where to have the windows tinted and he thinks they used some kind of spray wax of some sort on it. He wasn't sure and is not sure if the place is even still in business. If it weren't for some slight issues here and there with some scratches and marring it would look pretty good. The paint looks nice and deep; I just wanted to try to help him with getting rid of some of the blemishes and stuff that are one it.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I would have to agree that there is some type of silicone on the paint and a polish like Professional Polish would be my choice of products. You could also try a product like Prep-Sol used in paint preparation... if it doesn't come off with either of those :shock: then ... well let's not go there yet... :roll:

C

CEJ93

After talking to him he seems happy with the way it looks----if he's happy I'm good with that. I was just doing it as a favor and I don't mind doing favors but I don't want to kill myself or get in to something that is over my head either :). Thank you guys for all of the replies; it is greatly appreciated.

Eric

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
CEJ93 said:
After talking to him he seems happy with the way it looks----if he's happy I'm good with that. I was just doing it as a favor and I don't mind doing favors but I don't want to kill myself or get in to something that is over my head either :). Thank you guys for all of the replies; it is greatly appreciated.

Eric

if the customer/ friend is happy, then everyone is happy :smt038