How do I rid myself of spiderwebs?

B

bl831

I don't know that I am using the correct term for these things. Where the sun or bright light hits the car, it looks like a spiderweb (only the circular part of the web). I have some Poorboys products (in the next paragraph) and a Porter Cable orbital, but perhaps I am doing something wrong. Here's a little back-story on my car...

A guy that was refinishing my cabinets got overspray on my car cleaning his paint gun. He was using a 2-part laquer based something (some nasty stuff to get on a car). I couldn't get rid of it with the stuff I had, so I took it to a body shop (of his choice). SOOO when I get the car back from the body shop, it is swirled and "spider-web'd" BAD. I have not had time to deal with this since, but its time for it to go. When I bought the car, it had the spider-web thing, but it was not as bad as it is now. After I bought the car, I put some SSR 2.5, 1, polish with sealant, and Nattys (in that order). It improved from when I bought it, but it didn't get it to my 100% liking. So now its worse than it was when I bought the car, and I am not sure what to do or where to start. I am not very experienced with the Porter Cable, so I am still unsure on how much pressure to put on the car when I am using it, and I am unsure on pads too. So any help you might be able to give me would be appreciated. My big concern is what I can do to get rid of the swirlls and "spider-webs". Perhaps it is over my head, but I at least want to give it a shot before I pay someone.

Thanks,
Brent

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Hi Brent... sometimes those Spider Webs are too much for a pc to handle and a rotary is in order, especially if they were induced by the mis-use of a rotary as it sounds like in your explanation ... I would use the SSR2.5 with an orange pad and expect to do quite a few passes. You will need to use the pc at a speed of 5-6 and work one small section first until it gets to where you can accept it, then you will know what will be needed to do the whole car.
The other alternative if you are getting rid of the car, is to fill the swirls... a coat of Black Hole, a couple coats of EX, and a coat of Natty's Blue, will make them very hard to see in any light. 8)

C

CEJ93

HA, that car isn't going any where. He needs to post some pictures of it. I wish I lived closer to him I'd give it a shot at getting rid of those swirls.

B

bl831

Thanks for the reply Poorboy!

The only way this car is getting sold is
1. 100% financial emergency
2. I am dead

So its (hopefully) not going anywhere anytime soon. Here's a few pics in some ideal lighting/angles to NOT see the problems...
cobra.jpg

cobra1.jpg

and the business end...
cobra4.jpg

I am going out right now to take pics of the paint and the issues...

B

bl831

Here is the problems....

Swirls in the quarter along with "spiderwebs". This is a pretty accurate look at how both sides of the car are messed up.....
IMG_1177.jpg

The "spiderweb" issue....
IMG_1176.jpg

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
go with the plan I laid out previously and work on one section until you get it right... then repeat the same process to each section. :wink:

B

bl831

Thanks, I hope to be able to get to it a little this afternoon and tomorrow while the weather is nice.

B

bl831

what pad can I use to put on some black hole? I have made about 5 passes with the PC on the trunk. I made some progress, but its going nowhere at this point. I give up, it needs to look good for a couple of car shows coming up, so I am gonna do the fill-step you suggested. I am gonna order some black hole and a pad to put it on. Can I use the polish with sealant rather than the EX? Or does it need to be EX?

Thanks,
Brent

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
PwS would likely remove the BH, so EX would be the better choice after a glaze.
As to a pad, use the softest you can. Finishing or finessing. There is even one called "Ultrasoft" for waxes and sealants. (I haven't tried it, though.)

As an aside, you may get better filling with a Natty's than EX.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
yup a finishing pad ...they are usually black, blue or red ... apply at 2-3 and then top with a couple coats of either EX or Natty's blue :D

B

bl831

Well, after some thought, I got after this thing hard. 3 days later and some damaged paint, too, I have some results. I said screw it and went after it like there was nothing I could hurt. I got my side vent, but it should be re-painted as of tomorrow. At least it was something small and easily removable. The hood is still not up to par with the rest of this stuff. It was worst of all anyway. It is an aftermarket hood that wasn't prepped correctly, and it shows. I took pics of the results. The pics actually look better than it really is, but at least its acceptable for now. Thanks Poorboy for the advice on getting this done!

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Sorry to hear about the damage, but as you said at least it was small and removable ... yes, pictures don't tell the whole story but it certainly looks much better than before ... A repainted piece almost never look as good a factory paint job as body shops generally don't take the time or have the same quality of equipment ...but two thumbs up for effort :smt023 :smt023