Hello from England!

S

Shakey1980

Hi All,

First post here and just wanted to say hi. I've just bought a new (well, new to me) car a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. I gave it a good wash and a wax at the weekend as it came with the previous owners Autolym set, it was the first time I waxed a car in a very long time! As it happens, I actually quite enjoyed it and through researching how to take things up a level I happened across Poorboy's products :) I've not ordered anyting yet, and I think I've whittled down what I might try first from the myriad of products available, but I'd really appreciate some advice on what I should try.

Anyway, great to be here and what better way to introduce myself than to show off my new car! :) Its a 2008 Ford Mondeo Mk4 Titanium x 2.0TDCi, I just got the windows tinted this weekend just gone. I was pretty pleased with my wax job, given how long it'd been and I used really cheap, basic Turtle Wax shampoo and wax. I just used some Autolglym stuff on the wheels.

IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

N

Neston_Vasey

Hello and welcome fellow Mondeo owner, looks a nice motor. I fancy a Titanuum X as my next motor once I'm board with my current 05 plate Mondeo.

I'll say you can't go far wrong with Poorboy's. I've tried loads of brands and paid far too much on 'current trends', for the money Poorboy's is excellent and you can't go far wrong; even out preforms many of those expensive alternatives (IMO).

Black is a bugger to keep clean but spectacular when done right.........., as for the Poorboy's range (and I'm sure others will have their opinion) i'd go Professional Polish to keep that paint clean, some Black Hole to give it a nice deep wet shine, topped with some EX-P to seal in that look and finally topped witha few coats of Natty's (Blue or Red). I'd be inclined to also tell you to get some good quality Microfiber cloths, they will make a huge difference to the finish (Look for Poorboy's DMT or MegaPlush, it's also worth getting rid of a chamois and getting hold of a WaffleWeave drying towel to prevent swirls when drying)

Obviously there is clays that can be used before the work to clean microscopic contaminants off the painted surface, then Super Swirl removers (SSR's) if the pain needs correction.

Wheels can be cleaned with Spray and Rinse, then Pro Polished before sealing with some Wheel Sealant, finally dressing the tyres with some Bold and Bright (I'm a Gel man over the Spray version)

The interior.......I love Natural Look (the smell is ace!) cracking stuff for the dash and doors, carpets and seats I clean with a bit of All Purpose Cleaner (APC) I even use it to clean my windows. Natural Look can also be used on the seats (if leather) or dressed with some Leather Stuff.

Give me a shout if your after anything I'll give you a price if you are interested in anything PB's related.

Andy.

S

Shakey1980

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome!

Nice to hear from a fellow Mondeo owner :) Thanks for the advice and tips on cleaning and drying towels, I happen to have one micro fibre cloth and was impressed with it. I noticed you can buy a stack pretty cheaply on eBay, are the likes of Poorboy's that much better (I appreciate that may be a daft question on the Poorboys forum :) )?

Funnily enough, in terms of detailing the exterior you pretty much nailed the products I'd earmarked, i.e. Black Hole and Natty's. However, as there seems to be so much crossover between products I wasn't sure where to start. There are some light swirls so didn't know whether to try SSR1 or maybe a clay bar initially? I've never used anything like that before so I am a little apprehensive about using abrasives, or if I even need them, so perhaps some Pro Polish would be a good place for me to start. I'll be doing everything by hand for a while by the way.

Anyway, all these different products can soon add up the cost so I do appreciate your offer to give me a price. I think I know what I'm after now as I can supplement and use some of the stuff such as wheel cleaners I have in my Autoglym set. I'll be in touch around pay day (weeks away! :( ) to see what you can do :smt023

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
There is a vast difference between micorfibre towels. If you can't see them in person, you should try to get references from trusted sources before buying online. Some are very thin, some don't absorb well, some lint quite heavily.

sscully

Advanced Helper
To start with, go with ProPolish ( in place of the SSr line ). I have both, but prefer the ProPolish. You can change the aggressiveness of it by changing the pad from blue to black to white to orange. It is a chemical polish, not a mechanical ( requiring break down ). Also works great on a red or black pad for polishing plastic bits if needed.

Clay is the step before the polish ( defect removal ) if your paint needs it. The hand in the plastic bag and drag is over a section to see if there are contaminates on the paint that need to be removed with clay. Could be your paint is clean, and does not need it, but worth checking.

Think of clay and polish to work working. If you do a rubbish job sanding the word, you could use the most expensive stain, and it is still going to look like crap. taking the time to clay ( if needed ) and then start with ProPolish on a black or Blue pad and see where you get with the defects that are in the paint.

The Natty's line, go with the NAtty's Blue for a deep look. Paste or Liquid. I have both, and find myself using the paste more often as of late.

If you do any defect removal, you can do a finish polish with Propolish on a red pad, then go right to EX ( or EX-P ) and then start layering Natty's blue and Black hole ( by hand ). This will add a fantastic depth to the paint after 3 layers.

I have a Dark Stone F-150 and it looks great when I get 3 layers of BH and Natty's Blue on, then top it with Natty's Red.

I just did a white diamond & Natty's Red layering test on my dark stone paint, and it really pops. Thing is, it looks 2 mm deep.

S

Shakey1980

Thanks again for the welcome guys and for the great advice :smt023

S

Shakey1980

Thanks very much! I just ordered a few Poorboy's products to spruce up my wife's car...and to have a little practice before I set upon my own :smt003 Looking forward to it!