Heavily oxidized headlights.

W

wallywax

What is the proper technique to removing oxidation and fine polishing headlights?

Which grit sand paper will do the trick?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
What is the proper technique to removing oxidation and fine polishing headlights?

Which grit sand paper will do the trick?

I would just try Pro Polish or PP2 with a foam pad first before breaking out the sand paper ... remember that yellowing outer coating is the UV protection, and when it's gone you will have to make sure you stay on top of them to keep them clear

P

pgcobravert

I have one yellowed headlight(the other was replaced by bambi). I have tried every product, and every technique. I have been unable to fix. If it is heavily oxidized, like you say, it may not come clear again.

G

Gus-Gus

I have one yellowed headlight(the other was replaced by bambi). I have tried every product, and every technique. I have been unable to fix. If it is heavily oxidized, like you say, it may not come clear again.
have you tried an orange pad with ssr 2... then step it down to ssr 1 ...then pro polish ?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member

then you should try some 1500 grit paper , followed by 2000 and then PP2 with a 4" pad

P

pgcobravert

then you should try some 1500 grit paper , followed by 2000 and then PP2 with a 4" pad

I will give it a shot. What is your suggestion on polishing the headlight. My headlights have three points on them. I see that tearing my pad up. I don't want to take the point off the light, it must be there for a reason.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I will give it a shot. What is your suggestion on polishing the headlight. My headlights have three points on them. I see that tearing my pad up. I don't want to take the point off the light, it must be there for a reason.

the points are part of the mold, they serve no purpose , and yes you probably will eat a pad ..that is why the 4" work better in this case

kitzy

Advanced Helper
They're still useless. Get rid of them. Plenty of headlights don't have them. They're not needed. Or go around them. It really doesn't matter. Just don't be afraid to get rid of them if you want to. Wonder if those spots will clean up as well as the rest of the headlights if you cut them off.

P

pgcobravert

well, I took the plunge today. I used my dremel tool to grind down the points on the light. There was a little spot where each point was. I tried a polishing bit on my dremel, but that didn't work out to good. So, I went with 1000 grit wetsand, then 2000 grit wetsand. I don't have any pads, at the moment, for my Porter Cable, so I whipped out my Mother's Powerball, used some SSR1, then used some Pro Polish. The light came out really good, not perfect, but a lot better than before.

P

pgcobravert

haha, no pictures. I suck at that part. My four year old was "helping" me, so I didn't think to get the camera until I was done. I had my wife take a picture of the light after I was done, to show the "no points". As soon as I can get it uploaded, I will share pictures. I have a HID light conversion to go into the lights, so I thought I would get the light cleaned up, to see if I really needed to replace it. It's not perfect, but will do for the time being.

vdub_dave

Helper
Just add on to an old thread....a guy used this process with great results for his headlights. Here it is:

1. wet sanded w/ 1000 grit
2. wet sanded w/ 1500 grit
3. wet sanded w/ 2000 grit
4. wet sanded w/ 2500 grit
5. polished with porter cable 7424 with poorboys ssr 2.5
6. polished with porter cable 7424 with poorboys ssr 1
7. applied poorboys exp sealant

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Just add on to an old thread....a guy used this process with great results for his headlights. Here it is:

1. wet sanded w/ 1000 grit
2. wet sanded w/ 1500 grit
3. wet sanded w/ 2000 grit
4. wet sanded w/ 2500 grit
5. polished with porter cable 7424 with poorboys ssr 2.5
6. polished with porter cable 7424 with poorboys ssr 1
7. applied poorboys exp sealant

try PP2 and PP next time instead of the SSR's ... let me know what you think ;)

W

wallywax

With the great advice from the Poorboy crew. Here are some before and afters. I did these awhile back.

uglyheadlight.jpg

headlightrestore.jpg

2011-06-30135545.jpg

2011-06-30175759.jpg

2011-06-30181231.jpg