Getting it right first time - Help please!

F

FerrariStu

Hi

I've just bought a new 07 car in metallic Black and i've just started "gathering" detailing products to start trying to treat it right from Day 1

Along the way (before I knew about Poorboy's) I bought AutoGlym Super Resin Polish but have since added PB's EX-P and Natty's Blue to my collection.

Can you tell me if, with minimal cobwebbing, I should use the Super Resin Polish before the EX-P and finally NB?

I've read lots of posts here but i'm confused about which pads to use if any (I only have MF and waffle cloths so far) and how long to leave between each stage.

Any help will be appreciated :)

Cheers

P.S. I also use PB's wheel Sealant (when I can tear myself away from sniffing it :oops: ) which I like big time.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. I really can't tell you about the polish you have, but it's always good to do a light polish, even on a new car, before applying sealants and waxes. The pads are for either a PC or a rotary. It sounds like you are working by hand.

Please minimal sniffing of the products :lol:

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
SRP is an Acrylic 1-step polish and protectant (wax). It can remove/hide minor cobwebbing. Since you didn't mention any other polish, I would recommend using the SRP before the EX-P and Natty wax.
The SRP *could* be topped right after, but I'd recommend waiting at least a day between each coating. Or even applying a new coat after each wash. This would allow you to have a car that looks "freshly waxed" for a longer time as well as allowing ample time for the previous coat to cure.

When you ask about pads, does this mean you have a polisher, or are you just asking in preparation for when you get one? If you don't have a polisher, no point in looking over the pad posts. ;)

You can polish/wax a car with just mf's, but don't expect much in the way of correction. (But an '07 with minimal cobebbing shouldn't need much correction anyway, right? :D )

F

FerrariStu

Brilliant Help! Thanks Guys. :D

Sorry about the confusion. I don't have a polisher and would prefer to polish by hand to be honest (call me old fashioned).

Do I need an applicator pad to apply the polish or is a MF cloth just as good?

Also, sorry to be ignorant, but what do I need to know about correction? Is this a specific problem or a generic term for swirl removal?

I shall certainly take your advice and look forward to seeing my shiny new Seat Leon looking even more shiny once i'm done.

P.S. Do Poorboy's deliberately made their products smell edible? I just received my EX-P and Natty's Blue through the post today and - going on smell alone - I was tempted to chew the NB and use the EX - P as suntan lotion :shock:

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Microfiber is generally made for removal not application unless it's a wax or sealant and the microfiber is on an applicator. When you use a polish for removal of any defects, either cotton by hand or foam by machine is best. There are some specific foam hand polishing applicators, but I would suspect you'd have to rub pretty hard and fast to duplicate a machine. :)