Ex sealent in between applications

M

mrfil13

Hi,

With the EX sealant i have read on here its best to leave about 24 hours between coats of either more sealant or some nattys. My car is parked outside so if i put a coat on and leave it over night should i clean the car again before using sealant/nattys or is it best to use a detailing spray to give it a clean.

Also any advice on applying ex sealant would be great.

Thanks

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
If you don't have a storm (dirt blowing around, water turning it to mud, trees falling on the car... ;) ) you can use S+W to clean off the typical bit of dust that would have accumulated since the "yesterday" application. Using S+W would also prevent having water drips pour out of mirrors etc. such as might after a wash. If you don't feel comfortable using S+W, then a wash would be the other option. (Obviously you wouldn't apply more sealant without cleaning the car first. :smt018 )

What sort of tips are you hoping for? Basically all I can think of is:
-Apply it thin and it comes off easier than if you don't.
-Give it a chance to dry to a haze. Don't wipe it off too quickly.
-A buffer might help with applying it thin/evenly.
Poorboys stuff is pretty easy to use in general.

Did you have some specific concerns?

M

mrfil13

Its more for applying it, ive used it before but i used something like the dmt towel to apply it, now ive realised i should use an applicator pad, is a foam pad ok. Also i wasnt sure if i was putting too much on or too little.

Thanks

BigLeegr

Staff member
A foam pad is fine. I find using mf towels for application uses too much product - towel soaks up a lot. There are less absorbent mf/sponge applicators that can be used too.
As to too much or too little, if you can't see the paint, that's way too much! :smt080
Seriously, though, if the haze looks like a bit of frost or fog on the paint, that's enough. Applying it thicker only means more to remove later.
Apply it so that it can be seen as you work it, but not so that it looks like anything is there from a little ways away. As long as you apply it evenly, you should be good.

M

mrfil13

Thats great thanks, all i need now is several days of nice weather, kind of rare in the UK at the moment. :(

One more quick question, how much time do you need to leave nattys to cure before applying another coat?

Thanks

BigLeegr

Staff member
Natty's doesn't really need to cure. That's mostly for sealants.
Just let Natty's dry to a haze before wiping off, and if you want to apply another coat right after, you can.

M

mrfil13

Finally got to use my Nattys Blue after owning it for about 8 months, the stuff smells lovely, was very tempted to give it a lick :) Shame that it rained the same day and we had torrential rain for several days later :(