Dish Soap??

H

Hammer3.8

OK, I know this is a touchy subject with some people, so I'm looking on some quality feedback. In the past I've used Mothers products (yes, I know, but hey I've got my Poorboys now!).

I'm preping the car for a complete clay bar, swirl removal(SSR), polish(PP), sealant(EXP), and wax(NB).

Now the big question is, would you wash the car with dish soap to remove the old wax first? I've read this in a few places. Or would you use a quality car wash, and let the swirl removers strip the old wax?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this weekend is devoted to refreshing the mustangs paint.

Cheers!

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
I think I can honestly say that I have never (in my adult life, at least) washed my car with dish soap.
I've relied on the polishing step to remove any leftover LSP and, as far as I can tell, it's worked so far. I mean, if I am able to remove cobwebbing / scratches, any leftover LSP would also be removed, since it would be on top of the scratches, right?
Also, (And this is just my thoughts, as I haven't tried dish soap) I think dish soap would tend to dry out the rubber trim etc. if you did this often enough.

awd330

Advanced Helper
I'd agree with BigLeegr. The SSRs and Pro Polish will remove the old wax. There's no need to wash with dish soap.

V

VroomVroom

Echo...echo. :) Between the clay and polishes, you'll have a surface completely ready for your topcoat. Enjoy...you're going to love the results.

Beercan31

Advanced Helper
I am one of those who have used Dawn Dish Soap in the past. I have not found any advantages nor disadvantages using such product. It does not help in any way remove bonded containments. Dish soap is a lot stronger than Car wash soap and this would be a concern over all.