Ceramic Coating Product

Has Poorboys thought about going beyond the sealants into the ceramic coatings that supposedly leave a glossy look for a year or more, and supposedly mean no waxing needed? Something along the lines of Opti-Coat or C-Quartz?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Has Poorboys thought about going beyond the sealants into the ceramic coatings that supposedly leave a glossy look for a year or more, and supposedly mean no waxing needed? Something along the lines of Opti-Coat or C-Quartz?

We have considered coatings, but not at the moment. Poorboy's World products were originally aimed at the Enthusiast (with user friendly products) and for the Professional ( use in sun or shade, and user friendly). Coatings for the most part are for the Professionals as they require paint to be near perfect as well as the conditions (environment). Some companies because of these reasons, even make you sign a release to purchase their coating! Coating tend to be very expensive for wholesale and retail, which for the current Poorboy's line, does not fit in.
Personally, as well as many customers / enthusiasts, find that detailing is relaxing and a hobby. Some make money, some just have satisfaction from working on their own, family and friends vehicles. Coatings to me always seem plastic looking and lack warmth, like a carnauba does. This is a very subjective industry and everyone has their own idea of what a "shine" is.
We will continue to look at coatings and more sealants in the future ... thanks for the question :)

Thank you very much for the response, and I understand the rationale behind not having one at the moment.

Just figured I'd ask since I didn't see anything like a coating on the product pages. I guess you'd call me a noob-enthusiast. The user friendly and the fact Poorboys can be used in the sun were big selling points. I don't know if I'd want a coating yet, but maybe down the line.

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
I love coatings (but not for my car, as then it is not as fun) but as an enthusiast they just aren't the best value. Most only have a short shelf life one opened and if you can't do that many cars in that time it is a pretty considerable expense per vehicle. For example I bought a coating for headlights for around 65.00 and it can do ten sets of headlights. It worked great but I only needed it for 4 sets. I sealed it up and kept it inside but when I went to use it again several months later it turned to gelatin.

For Poorboys it doesn't fit their business model.