bad to worst

P

puddle jumper

Ok, I had a few light scratches and swirls on the hood. I now have twice as many. I did one or more steps wrong. Need some help. I clayed, that work out good. I used SSR1 with a pc and blue edge 2000 polishing pad. I spread at 3, then up it to 5. I didn't see any changes, so I up the pad to a
green light cutting edge 2000 pad with SSR1. Then I went to white finishing pad by edge using SSR1. Any suggestions?
I have SSR2.5, but is that too aggresive? What about using it with a polishing pad only? I ran the pc until it was clear, but not dry. Was this enough? Also after running the pc at 5, should I of back down to 3 for a couple of more passes?
I'll be going to the show next week, and take it all in on how it's done right. Thanks for any suggestions.

ronkh

Da King
Just my suggestion, but if you can live with it for a week, take care of it at the Detail Weekend.

Lots to learn, and it may be good to learn it on your own car.

Just a thought.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
You could try the 2.5 on a polishing pad, but if you are getting more marring from the SSR1, I don't think you should be moving to more aggressive stuff, you need to see why the less agressive stuff isn't working well.

Did the extra marring come after the green pad or did you get some good results with it? Did you work outside or indoors? If outside, was it breezy? There may have been dust blown onto the paint as you polished, which may have caused the marring, if you were outdoors.

Lastly, got any pictures?

As Mr.Waxwaster said, though, if you can wait until the detail weekend, that would likely be your best bet. Hands on training with someone there to show you how to work on your particular issues and let you see the results yourself.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
puddle jumper said:
Ok, I had a few light scratches and swirls on the hood. I now have twice as many. I did one or more steps wrong. Need some help. I clayed, that work out good. I used SSR1 with a pc and blue edge 2000 polishing pad. I spread at 3, then up it to 5. I didn't see any changes, so I up the pad to a
green light cutting edge 2000 pad with SSR1. Then I went to white finishing pad by edge using SSR1. Any suggestions?
I have SSR2.5, but is that too aggresive? What about using it with a polishing pad only? I ran the pc until it was clear, but not dry. Was this enough? Also after running the pc at 5, should I of back down to 3 for a couple of more passes?
I'll be going to the show next week, and take it all in on how it's done right. Thanks for any suggestions.

ok simple solution here ... your problems started when using a cutting pad with a finishing polish (SSR1) ... go to the SSR2.5 with the orange pad .. work it as before, but stay at 5+ after quickly spreading at 2-3 ...
then use your finishing pad with the SSR1 the same way and all your troubles will be repaired ... see you next week