31 Years Later

Beemerboy

Helper
This is an interesting story. In 1980 my cousin while working with his Father harvesting grain in the San Joaquin Valley (Northern California) witnessed a small twin engine airplane crash on a remote landing strip. The pilot was killed in the crash. A few days later he found the flight book, with the name of the pilot and last known address. He wrote to the address with no replies, the crash was featured in the local newspaper but no family information was given.

He put it in his desk and over the years tried to find the family every so often but had little to no luck. This last week, on the advice of his sister, decided to post the all the information he had on this person, in the efforts someone would recognize the name or know this person or family (long shot) With in a few minutes a lady on his friends list picked up the name of the person and threw two web sites had a match in less than two days. He contact the pilots daughter, she was 11 years old at the time of the crash. They exchanged contact information talked on the phone, and the flight book is on its finial flight back to his daughter.

Can you imagine what it was like to get an email about this 31 years after the death of your father? What range of emotions that had to be. I contacted the local newspaper about this in the interest they will want to have a followup story on it.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
very interesting ... what was in the book that made it worth finding a relative of the pilot?

Beemerboy

Helper
Flight information and a little personal info. I think more of it, was finding it he felt it would be nice for the family to have it back.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
the family at the time probably did not approve of his flying and maybe that is why they did not respond earlier :smt102

Beemerboy

Helper
the family at the time probably did not approve of his flying and maybe that is why they did not respond earlier :smt102

Not even close, I've been in contact with his daughter via FB. He was practicing for a air show when this crash occurred. She is getting the book today along with original newspaper story and is really excited to git it.

Beemerboy

Helper
so how did it go?
Steve, Very well that I can see. She received it yesterday and was going to read it on a mountain top (lives in CO) then share it with her daughter and husband. She was happy to see it again and thankful beyond life that someone saved it and took the time to find her.