Z3 Detail

S

Sal150

I have a customer who has a fairly old bmw z3. Im new to bmw paint.
The car is in horrible condition and the owner just spray painted a paint chip and im worried that that little spot is going to stick out.
My plans are to:
Wash
Clay
SSR2.5 or 3 (via PC orange lake)
SSR1
PP
BH
Nxt 2.0x2(trying to finish off the last of it so i can grab some nattys. sorry steve

Any tips to Bmw paint like i said never worked on it before.
Anything helps Thanks in advance

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
stick with the SR2.5 and be prepared to do as many passes as needed ...it could be one or it could be 10 (I've done 10 on a new Porsche) ... work on a half of the hood first and figure out what it will take and then move on to the rest of the car. Remember the PC should be at least 5 or closer to 6 in speed :wink:

S

Sal150

Steve, Thanks for the help the customer keeps putting it off but as soon as i do it i will throw upo my results. Thanks for the help.

T

Trinidad

stick with the SR2.5 and be prepared to do as many passes as needed ...it could be one or it could be 10 (I've done 10 on a new Porsche) ... work on a half of the hood first and figure out what it will take and then move on to the rest of the car. Remember the PC should be at least 5 or closer to 6 in speed :wink:

Sorry to bump an old thread but I've always read you should never use it on 6. Never explained why except for pad wear however does your advise still hold true?

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable guys will chime in also but with the PC you can work at 5-6 for defect removal. Other machines are different as they may have more power, generally I have never needed to go above 5 on the Griots DA. The only true restrictions I know of is not going greater than 4 for MF pads.

I suspect the warning you heard about is to keep inexperienced folks from working too hard too quickly and to avoid heat build up between the pad and backing plate, but that is really just a guess on my part.