Yet Another SSR Question

N

neoflex1

First time using the SSR line. I picked up a bottle of 2.5 and 1. I am dealing with a brand new Barcelona Red Venza where the paint is in pretty good shape except for some dealer installed swirls(Mostly on the hood). Not too heavy but enough where if I am looking at it at certain angles with direct sunlight that its enough to bother me. I plan on attacking the car either tomorrow night or Saturday morning. Here is my plan of attack so please direct me if I am approaching it wrong. SSR2.5 with a Chemical Guys Orange Hex logic pad followed by a LC Black pad using SSR1. Is that too heavy for minor swirls or should I use the 2.5 with a ** White Hex pad and than SSR1 with a LC Black pad?
After much reading it seems priming the pad with distilled water will be a recipe for trouble. With that being the case what is the best way to prime the pad? Isopropyl alchol or just use product? Thanks in advance.

sscully

Advanced Helper
Not knowing how the paint is ( soft / hard ) I would default to least aggressive 1st and go with the White pad & SSR1 and see what happens.
- Could be it is 2 passes and they are out, or could be a step up the orange pad and see what happens. Next step I would try is orange pad with SSR1 could be white pad with SSR2.5 is not as aggressive.

For priming pads I have some pad priming solution from **, I think standard detail spray would work the same. Give the pad a spray or 2 of Spray & Wipe ( or what you have on hand ).

Let us know how it turns out, pictures would be great.

N

neoflex1

Thanks for the help. I decided to use SSR1 with a white pad and only needed to hit one spot with the SSR2 with an orange in one spot that was being a little stubborn. Proud to say the hood is officially swirl free. Poorboy's made the job rather painless. I would have taken pics but as luck would have it shortly after getting the car washed and dried the rain moved in. Thanks again!

C

craig

Hi Neo. I use Hexlogic pads quite a lot (not much choice of quality pads here in the UK) :(. I usually opt for a green hex pad if im using SSR 2.5. It's no where near as agressive as an orange one, but gets the job done nicley ;-) Also if you drop the speed of your machine for the last couple of passes it will finish down quite well :smt080. From here i usually finish off with SSR 1 & a white hex pad on a slightly slower speed (speed 4 on a DAS6 pro da polisher). This combination always gives me the results im looking for.

C

craig

Craig, if you want to see more selection of pads in the UK, call PoorboysUK and tell them you want our pads ;)
I honestly didnt know Poorboys did pads :smt053 & sooo close to pay day too :smt080
I'll give them a call soon & get them added to my list ;-) I was looking at the Poorboys UK site yesterday & didnt see any advertised though !!!
Thanks for the heads up Poorboy :)