When to Replace Pads?

Reddwarf

Advanced Helper
First let me say I tried a new technique to clean my pads. After using them for a detail I squirted some PB APC in a bucket, added water and dropped the pads in the bucket to soak. I wish i had been diligent enough to measure the ratio. I let them soak longer than I planned, but I just did not have time during the week to make myself finish the job. Today I grabbed the bucket and I was amazed at the amount of thick goo (I assume wax/ polish) that poured out! I used some dish soap and hot water to clean the pads. It only took a few minutes and they seemed cleaner than my old process. PB APC soak is the way to go IMO!

On to my question. I have a could of pads with nicks. Overall the pad is worn and rough a bit with a couple of gashes. At what point does one toss out and buy new?

IMG083.jpg

IMG084.jpg

Thanks!

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
yes, APC does a great job on pads and microfiber too ... if it has gashes like the picture, I'd say it has had it's day on paint, but it still may be good for wheels or other rough finishes

G

Gus-Gus

I was waiting for this. This is about how long mine last. I don't throw them out though. Dirty pads just accumulate because I can't stant cleaning them.

send them to me i will clean em and keep them :)

BJohnson

Advanced Helper
Flat CCS...I thought there was only one CCS? I haven't experimented with anything else. What am I missing out on...?

Kitz... +1 on the taking of your old pads... :smt040

Merlin

Take Pride in your Ride!
On a DA I prefer the 5" backing plate with the 5.5" LC flat pads...but hey that's just me.
I've been having a lot of success with the Megs DA Microfiber cutting and polishing pads

BJohnson

Advanced Helper
A friend of mine in Texas... you might know of him "Nick's Custom Detailing" says those are awesome. I have yet to try them.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
we have the curved CCS and have NEVER had one fall apart .. the flat pads tend to do that as the velcro is only glued on vs being infused into the back of the pad like ours ;)