Wheel Sealant

M

mrfil13

Today was a nice day for a change so i decided to do what ive been meaning to do for about 5 months now, use some wheel sealant. I took the wheels off one by one, washed them, used a clay bar, great for getting the tar off, polished them then applied 2 coats of wheel sealant, once all the wheels were on i applied another coat of sealant, left them for about 10 mins then buffed off again.

I got the wheels repainted about 10 months ago, got to say i had forgtton that they were silver with flakes which the polish and the sealant helped bring back out again.

Generally how long does the wheel sealant last?

Heres a before and after

before.jpg

3-4.jpg

I just hope the sealant will help me keep them this way :)

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
"Length of service" will depend more on things like how much brake dust your car makes, road conditions, etc. than the product life span. I've gotten around 3-5 months out of it, but again, it depends on the car/driving etc. so I might get more or less with a different car.

awd330

Advanced Helper
Durability will also vary depending upon the cleaning methods used. Strong wheel cleaners or aggressive brushes/sponges will reduce the life expectancy. Personally, I get about 4 months of longevity when washing with my normal car wash shampoo and a soft brush or Edge ShMitt (the gentle white foam, not the coarse black foam).

M

mrfil13

excellent, cheers guys. Suppose if i wash them often the dust wont get a chance to bake on.

awd330

Advanced Helper
mrfil13 said:
excellent, cheers guys. Suppose if i wash them often the dust wont get a chance to bake on.
Yes, that's correct. It's much easier to do regular maintenance than it is to fix something that's been neglected.