What to start off with

Hey all,

starting to put together a list of poor boys stuff to get for the truck (Black 07 F150 w decent paint). I was looking for a good "rookie" package to put together. After reading the "washing your car tips" thread this is what I came up with:

the bucket special:

5 gallon Poorboy's World Logo Bucket
Poorboy's World Chenille Wash Mitt
Poorboy's World 24"x36" Microfiber Waffle Weave super soft and absorbant drying towel
Poorboy's World 32oz Super Slick & Suds car shampoo
Grit Guard

and the Starter kit for towels:

16" Velvet Smooth Glass Towel
16" Work Towel
16" Deluxe Microfiber Towels
16" Mega-Plush
24 x 36 Waffle weave
Chenille Wash Mitt
Mega-Plush Mitt

Then adding 6 more mega plush towels to the mix. As for products I was thinking of picking up some QD and APC to complete the package

I dont wax as often as I should and want to eventually get into that down the road but for now I would like to put together a basic kit. Anything anyone wants to add/remove items?

I appreciate all the help in advance. who knew there was so much to washing your car?!?!

Steve

sscully

Advanced Helper
My opinion Black ( as the other thread called it, not a color but a part time job :lol:) you would really want 2 buckets / guards for using the 2 bucket washing method just to be sure.

In the QD category

Spray & Wipe - Get a 32oz bottle at least. It will work great for cleaning the paint, as well as the windows. Even works in the house for mirrors, windows and LCD screens with the green velvet towels. give the paint a light mist and dry after washing. I'd call this a must have out of the gate myself, but I buy SnW by the gallon.

Spray & Gloss - The gloss QD, I still use old stand by Spray and Gloss. No brainier, works great.
I tried QD+, but I am too stupid to get consistent results out of it, and it is end user error on my part.

Other items

The APC, must have along with one of the foaming spray heads. This makes washing wheel wells and running boards using a gong brush quick. I keep the foam head on the mix bottle, and have yet to put the regular spray head back on, but I have it just in case.

Spray & Rinse wheel cleaner.
I'd call this one a must have. Stuff works, no question about it. Spray on a cold wheel, little sit time, and rinse off, no need to scrub like a mad man. Have pictures in the detail sub forum on the sister in laws new to her car with before and afters.
Check the overstock thread here, they had quarts of SnR for cheap, might still have some of it.

For the follow on items ( once you get into that down the road )

1. ProPolish
Works on paint, metal plastic. I use this in the house as well ( have a yorker type bottle under the kitchen sink for cleaning the appliance surfaces ). I get this by the Quart, but I use it to clean everything around the house as well as the paint polish work.

2. Black Hole
This is depending on the paint condition. If there are defects or swirls that you are not going to have time to get out right away, this will help minimize them. 16 oz bottle would last a few applications around the truck. Your call if you want to get to this level of detailing, some don't go this far, defects and swirls are just not that big of a deal to them, and that is OK. You don't need to be an OCD wack job like some of us around here.

3. Liquid Natty's Blue
Others might suggest EX or EX-P, but Nattys ( even the paste version ) is dirt easy on & off. If you are limiting order expense, and are not getting into paint care in a huge way ( as in OCD type detailing ), 16 oz bottle will last quite a while, it is 2 thin coats for application.

4. Few Red & Black Foam Anti-Static hand detailing pad
For applying product. The back would pair nice with ProPolish for light removal of defects and polishing bumpers, the red for Black Hole and Natty's Blue liquid.

Spray bottles. I don't care for the style PB carries ( red flat version ).
I have empty PB SnW quart bottles that I use with the gray Heavy Duty Adjustable Chemical Resistant Sprayers for mixing product in ( i.e. 15:1 APC & 3:1 Bug Squash ). HD has some of the long neck opaque spray bottles ( Zep & Rubber maid branded bottles ) that are 32 oz that work nice for the APC work also. Some like the long neck. The std use mix ( 15:1 ) I keep in a long neck bottle, the heavier mix bottles I use an empty SnW or SnG bottle out of the stash. Print out a new label in bold 35 point font and shipping tape it to the bottle.

BJohnson

Advanced Helper
Great advice Scully. You sound a lot like me!! lol

I would add Bold n Bright and Natural Look to the line up if you can. That is a great tire dressing. I haven't used it much for the engine or wheel wells. I'm still using the Hyper Dressing for that... sorry Steve!!

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Even though you said you'd get to waxing eventually, I'd recommend getting PwS to try to maintain some protection as well as allowing for a bit of correction. (PwC Blue would also be a good choice and may be a better option if you are doing it all by hand.)

sscully

Advanced Helper
Great advice Scully. You sound a lot like me!! lol

I would add Bold n Bright and Natural Look to the line up if you can. That is a great tire dressing. I haven't used it much for the engine or wheel wells. I'm still using the Hyper Dressing for that... sorry Steve!!

I actually had to restrain myself :smt042

I was trying to keep in mind the question, and not go off the deep end with products.

Natural Look I kind of skipped over, thanks for adding that to the down the road part.
I use that for Tires and wheel wells ( via a HVLP gun ) and it turns out great. NL sprays fine out of the HVLP gun I have, or if you go the Optimum gun route, you can thread it right on the bottle. I am not looking for that high gloss to the tires though, so I usually don't use BnB.

BJohnson

Advanced Helper
BnB can be diluted down like Megs Hyper Dressing. I really prefer the look of BnB on tires though. What's the scoop on NL with a HVLP gun??

sscully

Advanced Helper
When applying NL to the wheel wells, rather than use an old sponge or try to spray and wipe down, I used a small HVLP spray gun to apply it, and just leave it go.

The same could be done with enough pumps of a spray head, but I think to get a light enough coat, the pattern would not be the most uniform.

Works great right out of the bottle, and the small gun I have, the cup pivots to allow the gun to be tilted around to reach in the corners. Got the idea from looking at the Optimum gun, but did not want to spend 50.00 for it.

after much reading and taking your suggestions I think I have my kit down.

Bucket special
Starter kit for towels
grit guard
SnW
SnG
BnB Gel
6 pack of DMT's

I will eventually add the remainder of the products suggested but this first investment is a doozy hahaha. Thank you all for the suggestions and help for getting me ready for the summer season! Pictures are sure to follow!

Steve

sscully

Advanced Helper
If you can swing it, at least get a sample of the APC to get you going. I understand very well, 5.00 here and 5.00 there adds up real quick to another 35.00.

That is a 4 oz bottle, which with standard mix will make ~ 64 oz of APC spray ( I use a 15:1 or 2oz APC + 30 oz water in a 32oz spray bottle ).
Cleaning tires & wheel wells this will go much easier than using the last of the soap in the bucket.

I found that 15:1 works great in the Tornador black Z-020 tool for cleaning the headliner and door panels.

rabbi

Thanks for the answers peeps. Besides the towels(I use old t-shirts)and buckets I have to start replacing my old products with new ones.

Placed my order today!! can't wait to start using these products!! (even got a trial of the APC. Just for you Sscully!! hahaha) Thanks all for the great advice!

steve

sscully

Advanced Helper
Placed my order today!! can't wait to start using these products!! (even got a trial of the APC. Just for you Sscully!! hahaha) Thanks all for the great advice!

steve

You won't regret it. Actually you might, it will cause you to start purchasing gallons of it. :smt023

Mix up a pint of it ( 1 oz APC to 15 Oz water ) and see how it goes for cleaning tires and wheel wells. This way if need be you can add another 1/2 to 1 oz to the bottle to up the concentration if you have something serious ( and then add in some water to bring it back down after you get done ).

I use it 15:1 for cleaning where the dogs rub up against the wall on the stairs in the house, and it cleans it straight away.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
You won't regret it. Actually you might, it will cause you to start purchasing gallons of it. :smt023

Mix up a pint of it ( 1 oz APC to 15 Oz water ) and see how it goes for cleaning tires and wheel wells. This way if need be you can add another 1/2 to 1 oz to the bottle to up the concentration if you have something serious ( and then add in some water to bring it back down after you get done ).

I use it 15:1 for cleaning where the dogs rub up against the wall on the stairs in the house, and it cleans it straight away.

the sample size comes ready to use at 12:1 ;)

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Good to know, I thought ( read assumed ) it was just 4 oz of APC.

We could not expect people to go home and start mixing to try it out... it also comes with a sprayer ... Bug Squash is also ready to use with a sprayer in the sample size ;)