What a crazy winter

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
This winter has been the craziest I can remember for a long time. Storm after storm, extreme cold spells from the Arctic that reach as far south as Florida and Texas, now 100+ mph winds hitting the UK :smt103

Fortunately Spring is not too far off and everyone can start cleaning up your vehicles 8)

What are you looking forward to for Spring?

Bunky

Advanced Helper
It has been colder here in NC in many years and wetter (more rain) but no where near record snow or ice. The forecast is low 70s next week but likely with some rain. The challenge around here is the area has grown and there is almost no mass transit so snow shuts things down quickly because people leaving more clog the roads, ramps, etc. Some insist on driving 5 mph so that is that going to clog up roads. The same recipe like in Atlanta, take major arteries, add some slick roads, a few trucks stalling on ramps, and gridlock.

I am ready for spring.

mcate

Advanced Helper
Coldest winter in Indiana in the last 30 years, & most snow (53"+) in state history. We usually get 10-12 measurable snows/yr, & so far we have like 26. I can't EVER remember being more ready for a winter to end. (Especially since I was Jacksonville, Fl last week!) I'm ready to give the wife's new Caddy SRX a full detail. As for my Shelby, it's always had a lot of orange peel in the paint. I found a guy who is going to wet sand & buff it, & get rid of the orange peel. Once he's done it'll be ready for LSP, so I'll give it my EX-P & Natty's red treatment.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Coldest winter in Indiana in the last 30 years, & most snow (53"+) in state history. We usually get 10-12 measurable snows/yr, & so far we have like 26. I can't EVER remember being more ready for a winter to end. (Especially since I was Jacksonville, Fl last week!) I'm ready to give the wife's new Caddy SRX a full detail. As for my Shelby, it's always had a lot of orange peel in the paint. I found a guy who is going to wet sand & buff it, & get rid of the orange peel. Once he's done it'll be ready for LSP, so I'll give it my EX-P & Natty's red treatment.

WOW Mike !!! You let the wife have a non-Ford :smt119 lol

Please be careful with sanding factory clear coat paint ... too many nightmares than I can share!!!

mcate

Advanced Helper
First non-Ford I've bought in 29 years. 1985 to be exact. I didn't like it, but a happy wife makes for a happy life!

The guy who'll be doing my Shelby is an absolute pro. One of the best paint guys in Indy. He hasn't looked at the car yet, but he already warned me about what you just said. He won't try if the clear is too thin.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
First non-Ford I've bought in 29 years. 1985 to be exact. I didn't like it, but a happy wife makes for a happy life!

The guy who'll be doing my Shelby is an absolute pro. One of the best paint guys in Indy. He hasn't looked at the car yet, but he already warned me about what you just said. He won't try if the clear is too thin.

lol .. the Caddy has some pretty high ratings ...

glad he understands about the clear, but being thin is not the real problem .. if the clear is a soft clear the sanding marks will be very hard to completely remove and he might take away some of the UV protection (not that you will be leaving it outdoors), but there is a chance there could be a very light haze or marks that might be seen by looking at a certain angle, at the right time of day, and would be something only "you" might see.
The Ford orange peel on the high end Mustangs is all too common for a car of that quality, but I have read that orange peel will be the look of the future as water based paints just do not sit or spray as well as the older solvent based paints. Good luck and be careful my friend :)

mcate

Advanced Helper
lol .. the Caddy has some pretty high ratings ...

glad he understands about the clear, but being thin is not the real problem .. if the clear is a soft clear the sanding marks will be very hard to completely remove and he might take away some of the UV protection (not that you will be leaving it outdoors), but there is a chance there could be a very light haze or marks that might be seen by looking at a certain angle, at the right time of day, and would be something only "you" might see.
The Ford orange peel on the high end Mustangs is all too common for a car of that quality, but I have read that orange peel will be the look of the future as water based paints just do not sit or spray as well as the older solvent based paints. Good luck and be careful my friend :)

Good info, Steve, & thanx. Worst case I'll just get the whole car repainted! lol I don't know if I told the story on here or not, but I test drove this same Shelby when it was new in '09. Couldn't get a good deal, so I bought the 09 GT instead. I remember thinking at the time how much nicer the factory paint was on the GT than the GT500. It didn't have hardly any orange peel on it at all, & I hate orange peel. Of course, the GT500's are built in a different plant than the regular Mustangs, so that might explain it. Regardless, I won't be happy until this car shines like the GT did.

This winter has stunk. I am ready to clean some vehicles and my dad bought a camper I have to do to. Ready to start fishing to. We all got so bored this year I started shooting pool again. Anybody else shoot any?