Water for wipedown?

S

skip

I've read that alcohol (or a 50/50 solution of same) should be used for wiping away polishing residue. Is this really necessary for the SSRs, given that they are water based? (yes?) Could I get away with using plain water for the wipedown?

Thanks,
Greg.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
The wipe down is just to ensure "squeaky clean" surfaces for sealants that may be tempermental with regards to the surface it will adhere to. There is no need to do an extra wipedown after the SSRs with any of the PB waxes or sealants.

S

skip

Thanks BigLeegr. My understanding is that another reason for the wipedown is to check one's progress after a pass has been completed - the idea is to remove as much of the residue as possible, to ensure that the residue is not acting as a "filler", and hiding the marring. Can I assume that plain water is good enough for this purpose?

I'm a newbie at this - I had a brief attempt some time ago with a random orbital, and didn't have very good results. I have a rotary now, and it's WORKING. Hooray. :) (I don't think I was working the polishes for long enough with the random). Even SSR 2.5 by itself is producing a very good finish indeed. I am practising on a black bonnet lid from the wreckers. I am very encouraged.

Greg.

BigLeegr

Staff member
Since you're practicing on a test panel, I guess I'd say, try a water wipe down on 1/2 and an alcohol wipe on the other 1/2 and see for yourself if you see a difference. That way you'll know for yourself for certain.

Good luck!

S

skip

Thanks again - that's a good idea.

Since it's just a test panel, I tried methylated spirits - one good thing about an (almost) pure solvent like this is that it evaporates so quickly - it's faster to wipe off. I'm curious as to whether this stuff is damaging the paint though.........

Greg.

BigLeegr

Staff member
I don't know for sure, but I don't think it helps any. (I don't do any alcohol or distilate wipe downs.)