Two Part Questions ...Pads and Product

vdub_dave

Helper
As the subject line above stated I have two questions here. I have started (actually a practice car) polishing my car and will be using the following below:

SSR 2.5 - Lake Country Orange Pad CCS
SSR 1 - Lake Country White Pad
I haven't decided on my final sealant/wax yet.

I realize that I needed to prime my new pad so I smeared some ssr2.5 all over my orange pad and worked it in. After that I applied the SSR 2.5 all over my 2x2 section without the machine being on. I slowly (speed 2) started the PC7424 for a few seconds and slowly worked the polish all around. then moved up to speed 5 for about a 1-2 min. I did this until it almost became dust. I did this outside in the sun ( about 65 outside) so I could see where the spiderwebbing was. One time thru appeared to do the trick since I didn't see much.

I did the same priming procedue with the SSR 1 and a white pad as well....and started the same procedure again. I noticed with the ssr 1 that it started to "chunk" a little and never really turned to dust. I did this procedure twice since I have some holograms in place. I picked this car because... a) I could use it as a practice car and it really needed it b) it is a dark blue 12 year old car that hasn't seen this type of work before. Anyways...I think I am applying the SSR1 incorrectly because I may have created more work for myself. It feels great there are no spider webs left...yet I have my holograms. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you

vdub_dave

Helper
I thought of one last question, after I use my pads I soak them in some hotwater and simple green for awhile and then wring them out and let them dry. Do I have to repeat the process again when it comes to smearing my product over the pad or can I just get away with 3-4 pea size drops?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
first thing I would change is SSR1 with a White pad ... SSR1 is a finishing polish ... I would only use finishing pads with SSR1 and mostly with SSR2 also .. after you wash a pad, and I would not recommend simple green as that could be a problem, the pad must be thoroughly rinsed and dried before using SSR's ... polishes and water don't mix well .. they tend to gum up pads and cause dusting too ... you also need to work the product longer ..1-2 minutes is not enough time to fully break down SSR2.5 ... you should be seeing a great shine popping through when the product is used up, with a very very light oil like sheen left in the wake of the pad... hope this helps :)

vdub_dave

Helper
Ok...so I was starting to see a fine sheen with the SSR 1 and a white pad so it sounds like I was doing something right. I was under the impression that using SSR 1 and white pad was ok but I guess not. Sounds like I am going to be thoroughly rinsing my pads out with some water tonight. I guess my fear is... (inexperience) that if I worked the product for too long with either the orange or the white pad then all I would be doing is having the pad on the paint directly and really doing some damage to the paint.

How long would you recommend to fully break down the SSR 2.5 on a 2x2 section? Thank you for help.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
yes, you were working it correctly ... you can always stop at any time to check your pad .. I believe a lot of people are afraid to stop in the "middle" .. but if you have a concern and you no longer see the sheen or if you see too much dusting or clumping, no matter what the product,
stop and check out the pad. It could need cleaning or a little more or less product ..
Time is hard to say, there are variables such as heat, humidity, cold, wind ... you have to learn to trust your eyes and judgement ;)

vdub_dave

Helper
Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. I will try again this weekend and see what results I come up with now. So just to clarify, I cannot use a white pad with SSR1. I had seen it mentioned a few times where people have had success. Only reason why I am asking is...I have 3 more brand new LC white pads.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. I will try again this weekend and see what results I come up with now. So just to clarify, I cannot use a white pad with SSR1. I had seen it mentioned a few times where people have had success. Only reason why I am asking is...I have 3 more brand new LC white pads.

there is no exact science .. if it works for you, then great, no reason to worry. They will always have a place in your arsenal in any event.

P

pgcobravert

I was always told to use the orange pad with the SSR1.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I was always told to use the orange pad with the SSR1.

before we go any further with this, the color is not the issue here and the orange you have may not be from the same mfg ... the orange i speak of is from LC and is a cutting pad .. I do believe, that there is an orange finishing pad made by someone ... but as for using a cutting pad with a finishing polish, it will not work well ..

P

pgcobravert

hmm, ok. I have the orange pads I purchased from you guys. So, I shouldn't use SSR1 with them? So, use white pad with ssr1?

sscully

Advanced Helper
the finishing pads would be blue or red ( PB carries the Red version of the LC finish pad ).

White is still a polishing pad.

P

pgcobravert

just found that other thread about what pad goes with what product. I wish I would have known all that before. Now I have to relearn all this stuff.

sscully

Advanced Helper
just found that other thread about what pad goes with what product. I wish I would have known all that before. Now I have to relearn all this stuff.

If that is the one with the google doc spread sheet, that is just what I have found from asking questions and reading threads.

I do not know if Steve or Pockets have reviewed it for completeness / accuracy.

D

Dudleydoright

I used the SSR2.5 with the orange pad that I bought from LC, and I didn't get some of the paint scratches out. I did 6 passes with moderate pressure on 6. Am I doing something wrong? I have also developed elbow pain after 4 hours of doing this work today.

sscully

Advanced Helper
Did you get SSR2.5 to break down ?

Do you have a mark on the backing plate, to give you a visual indicator if the pad is still spinning ?
- This would be a little line draw on the edge that shows you.
MarkYourBackingPlate01.jpg

Here is a thread that helped me with the SSR line.

http://poorboysworld.net/board/showthread.php?67-SSR2-5-breakdown-stages-with-PC

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I used the SSR2.5 with the orange pad that I bought from LC, and I didn't get some of the paint scratches out. I did 6 passes with moderate pressure on 6. Am I doing something wrong? I have also developed elbow pain after 4 hours of doing this work today.

not all scratches can come out and sometimes the PC has limits to its correction ability