Tips for speeding up the detailing process

M

Mister B

Roughly how long does it take you to do a detail (interior and exterior)?

It always takes me at least 2 days, sometimes 3 days depending on the level of paint correction I do. Maybe I take too many breaks....

I did this Jeep Grand Cherokee for a relative last week and it took me 2 days. (probably 15 hours or so +/-)

MFDA_test_spot.jpg

MFDA_jeep1.jpg

MFDA_jeep2.jpg

I don't do this as a business, just as a hobby for my own vehicle and family and friends vehicle's once in a while and I would like to cut down my time and be able to finish them in one day.

Does anyone have any tips that would enable me to cut down the time I spend on their vehicles (without reducing quality) and be able to actually finish in one days time?

My normal process is:

Wash
Dry
Remove tar
Clay bar
Tape up trim to avoid compound residue
Compound/Polish (1 or 2 steps via PCXP)
Wax (via PCXP)
Dress Plastic Trim
Dress Tires
Vacuum interior
Wipe down interior
Clean door jambs with APC and microfibers followed by quick detailer or spray wax.
Clean Windows.

Thanks.

Merlin

Take Pride in your Ride!
I have recently have been able to do a complete "Show Car" detail job and get it completed in one day!

Wash, dry, clay entire vehicle
Wash again and three step polish
Wax/sealant door jambs
Dress exterior with Trim Restorer
Dress interior with Natural Look
Complete detail on the engine
Clean and dress wheel wells.
Spot clean carpets and mats.
Clean and condition all leather
Clean windows and vacuum
Clean wheels and dress tires
2-3 coats wax/sealant

Wanna know my secret?

M

Mister B

I have recently have been able to do a complete "Show Car" detail job and get it completed in one day!

Wash, dry, clay entire vehicle
Wash again and three step polish
Wax/sealant door jambs
Dress exterior with Trim Restorer
Dress interior with Natural Look
Complete detail on the engine
Clean and dress wheel wells.
Spot clean carpets and mats.
Clean and condition all leather
Clean windows and vacuum
Clean wheels and dress tires
2-3 coats wax/sealant

Wanna know my secret?

Multiple people?

Beercan31

Advanced Helper
interesting thread
If you boys have not heard yet "Size matters" and the bigger ones do take longer.
as of now I do not do interiors, theirs way to much hidden crap that can be thrown at you unexpectedly.

my routine is:
wash/rinse 2 bucket method
clean wash water - clay - rinse as I go, I use Super Slick Suds 1oz to 1 gal. as a clay lubricant.
tire wash down and rinse
polish, 1. (rare for me to go for ssr3 most of the time my go to is ssr2.5)
polish, 2. (ssr1 some times I can get away jumping to Pro-P)
seal, EX-P
wax, Nattys
this on a good day takes a minimum of 9-10hrs

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Best way to reduce time is to replace the full wash with Spray and Wipe ( no hose, no soap, no mess, no dripping in seams, etc.) Also using Spray and Wipe for claying, eliminates another wash and it will be ready to polish right away. This could easily remove an hour or more of work and clean up. ;)

M

Mister B

Best way to reduce time is to replace the full wash with Spray and Wipe ( no hose, no soap, no mess, no dripping in seams, etc.) Also using Spray and Wipe for claying, eliminates another wash and it will be ready to polish right away. This could easily remove an hour or more of work and clean up. ;)

I have never tried using Spray and Wipe as a replacement for a full wash when detailing a vehicle. I've only ever used it on light to moderately dusty vehicles. I guess there would not be much to worry about using it on a fairly dirty vehicle as a full wash considering I am going to be polishing the vehicle afterward anyway.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
yes, you may use a few more towels but it would be well worth the hour or more of time you will save

D

Dannyboy

Thanks for this great tip..it was a long process but this will cut it down.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Thanks for this great tip..it was a long process but this will cut it down.

just imagine being a mobile detailer and not having to drag, hoses, buckets and possibly water around ... yes you do have to do laundry a bit more often but it gives you an excuse to enlarge your (mind out of the gutter) microfiber collection.

M

Mrclean81

Maybe I just have a good system down or something, but I can do a full detail with 1 step polish and 1 coat of wax or sealant in 6 to 8 hours, by myself, including the engine bay. Full paint corrections vary from job to job, but I rarely run over 15 hours on any job. The downside to it is that its hard on equipment and its exhausting to work all day everyday at that fast of a pace, but that's just how I'm used to working.