Rag Top Care

G

Go-N Def

Does anyone else have a fabric-top convertible? What do you use to clean/preserve your top?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
You should clean it with soap and water ... after drying, I would use a lint roller to pick up any lint or light dirt that may be remaining. If it does get really filthy, then APC diluted about 30:1 will do the trick..but always test in an inconspicuous spot :)

G

Go-N Def

Poorboy said:
You should clean it with soap and water ... after drying, I would use a lint roller to pick up any lint or light dirt that may be remaining. If it does get really filthy, then APC diluted about 30:1 will do the trick..but always test in an inconspicuous spot :)

I have been using soap & water, not much lint ever has a chance to collect. I haven't had to use any APC on it yet.

I was more interested if anyone had used the product I mentioned (which you edited out of my post), or any others, as a protectant.

p.s. I didn't know I was breaking any rules by posting a link to a product other than PBW...

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
No worries...about the post... :wink:

Putting on a protectant will not really help a cloth ragtop ...keeping it clean is the best way. I have known people who have use a scotchguard type product but I think if you are planning on keeping the car for a while, I wouldn't put anything on it. The top was treated when it was mfg. and should give you years of worry free use. The only thing that will happen over time, other than dirt, will be wear marks where the top folds and there is nothing that can be done about that. That is true for cloth as well as vinyl tops. If you haven't had the need to use anything stronger than soap and water, you are way ahead of the game. :)

G

Go-N Def

Cool, thanks.

And I wouldn't say WAY ahead of the game, the thing is only 5 weeks old! LOL!!!