Question on sanding and headlight restoration

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
In the past when I have restore headlights for friends I have purchased a megs kit or similar and always had great results. This time I decided to go big and purchased a box of 3000 unigrit foam disks and opti-lens. however I still needed some lower grit disks so I went out and picked up a 3m kit.

This is the first kit I have purchased that didn't come with damp sanding disks (except for the 3k trizact). Should I have any reservations about the first two steps being dry?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question it just caught me off guard.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I have not used either of those systems as I don't believe you should use abrasives on clear plastics. Scratches simply do not come out very well ... we do a kit at shows for headlights that includes a 4" foamed wool pad, 4" backing plate, drill adapter and 4oz PP ... the idea is to use speed and heat while chemically cleaning the plastic rather than abrading it. Once the outside layer of protection has been sanded away the yellowing and clouding will come back fast and faster. The PP just cleans and clears as it has for many years on motorcycle shields, helmets, plastic jeep and convertible rear windows.

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
Thanks Steve, following the method you described would the headlight then be ready for a quick IPA wipe then a permantnet coating (spar urethane etc...)