PC pad care

G

gage0921

Curious on what setting in the washing machine you guys wash your pads?

awd330

Advanced Helper
I wash my pads by hand in the sink with warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. For stubborn products or stains, I'll followed up with either Murphy's Oil Soap or some diluted Poorboy's Biodegradable APC.

R

Rob

I'm lazy so I place mine in the front loader with a SMALL squirt of Dawn (beware of detergents with evil fabric softner!!!). They come out great. I used to be a hand washer but too much work and the result are the same. NOW keep in mind that I have a load of several pads and MF towels when I do this. Oh, and I've been pleased with a small squirt of APC as well when the towels are extra dirty.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
I hand wash too. If I can, I use the hose and spray the bulk of the product off the pad when I'm done (or if it cakes up badly while using it). This gets the majority off and makes the final cleaning easier.

I guess I got worried about the backing coming loose in the wash, so I always did it by hand so I could evaluate the deterioration.

R

Rob

I suppose we should also mention which pad we have, since you mentioned deterioration. I use Lake Country variable contact ( I am switching to the flat DA pads soon I think).
More importantly, I also spur my pads while polishing periodically. If you don't have a spur, you can use a plastic putty knife or similar object (metal may tear) and let the PC run for a couple seconds (speed 5-6). It should spin up to full speed then LIGHTLY with the "spur" angled away from the pad touch the pad and move outward in a slow spiral. You should see caked polish fly off in a tiny stream. Repeat until clean.
DO NOT angle the spur into the direction of rotation, you will gouge the pad and more importantly injure yourself!! Eye protection recommended.
Lightly mist with water and you're ready to go again!

H

hboyd_com

washer settings

I washed my Edge 2000 pads yesterday in my washer while I was washing my MF's. I have a front load washer which tumbles the laundry rather than twisting it back and forth like most top loaders. I used a normal setting but I set the spin speed to low. They are much cleaner than when I washed them by hand.

Best of Luck.

R

Rob

Front loaders are totally awesome. I let mine spin out on HIGH SPIN and man I can slap it on the buffer and go! MF towels seem to dry as I unload them!