Need some advice

N

NCTahoe

OK, not sure if this is off topic enough but couldn't figure out where this should go...

I just bought a 07 Black Tahoe. It is sweet however after getting it home and looking at the paint job closely I noticed about a billion scratches. One so bad they actually had to repaint the hood. Heck I was in a fender bender a week later and got a new fender and came out of the body shop with scratches. Augh!!! So the dealership is going to detail it for me to get the rest of the scratches out. I talked to the detailer and he said they would be polishing it out. Afterward they are going to reapply the "Sealant" (that I didn't pay for BTW) which gives you an extended 3 year warranty on the paint job. So my question is to you guys is should I just let them do it (which makes me cringe just to think about them touching my truck anymore but I don't know if they did it or somebody that just washed all the cars on the lot did it. OR should I just say screw it, forget the warranty and detail it myself?

One key thing I need to mention, I've never properly detailed a car and just learned what PC was about 4 days ago. I think I've educated myself so much with detailing theory in reading forum that I'm a detail snob and I've never done a proper detail job. (lol not funny actually.) I'm excited to buy and use the PBW stuff which I'll be posting in another forum about but in the meantime your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sorry in advance for being long winded.
Cheers from NC

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Black shows scratches badly. Expect to live with them if it's a daily driver.
You say the sealant they use will give you more warranty on the paint job. What time frame do you get without the sealant? I know of shops that give a "lifetime warranty" on their work, so 3 more years on a lifetime wouldn't be worth much.
As to whether or not to let the dealership detail it, Can you inspect their work on some other cars first? This would let you see the quality of workmanship they do. Some people do know what they are doing. Unfortunately, some do not. Ultimately, you need to see what they can do vs. what you can do. I'm kind of leaning towards letting them do it, since it's free and you say it's already badly swirled, so there doesn't seem to be too much risk that it'll turn out worse than it is.

N

NCTahoe

BigLeegr, Thanks for the reply. It'll be a daily driver so I guess I'll have to change my expectations on the scratches

It's a 3 year warranty on the paint once the sealant is on there. I think I'm just going to let them do it so I get the warranty. If it's a good job then I'll work on figuring out the easiest way to maintain it. If not a good job I figure out how to do it myself.

Thanks again