My BMW needs some love...

N

nroeber78

I ran across the poorboy lineup on autogeek's website yesterday and I must say am fascinated! I really love Made in USA stuff as well. After seeing some before after shots I will making a purchase soon and want to make sure I get everything I need to bring this cars paint back to life!

I'm no stranger to wash n wax jobs but when it comes to removing swirls and scratches oxidization dull spots and other things that are maring the finish of this car overall paint restoration... I get a little lost... This is a Black 98 BMW540i heavy swirls, bird poo burns, scratches (some will need some paint touch up) the finish has just, overall been neglected by the previous owner.

I know pictures are worth a thousand words and I'll try and get some posted today...

After reading through the product descriptions I think I have a gameplan.

1.) Thoroughly wash car (i have some run of the mill turtle wax wash concentrate for this)
2.) clay the car
3.) Apply master cut compound
3.) Apply Black hole
4.) Apply EX-P

Is this the proper order? Are there any other products I need to add?
I do have a rotary polisher similar to the porter cable but the harbor freight version. what pads do i need?

Thanks.

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
not quite, First off you don't want to start with master cut, you will want to try something lighter (why use the big hammer when you haven't even tried the little one) first and even if you need master cut you will likely need to follow it up with a finishing polish. Secondly do the glaze after EX-P.

For the polisher if it is a DA like the porter cable then you are ok, if it is a true rotary you do not want to jump right in without learning how to use it on test panels first, too much risk of burning the paint. For pads you will want to go 5.5 in and get a few cutting, polishing and finishing/wax. I really like Hydro techs and there are only 3 colors but any line will do and LC flat pads will work. Get a few of each as you will end up cleaning them often.

It doesn't take a lot of product to do one car so you could always get a sample kit of swirl removers and master cut.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I ran across the poorboy lineup on autogeek's website yesterday and I must say am fascinated! I really love Made in USA stuff as well. After seeing some before after shots I will making a purchase soon and want to make sure I get everything I need to bring this cars paint back to life!

I'm no stranger to wash n wax jobs but when it comes to removing swirls and scratches oxidization dull spots and other things that are maring the finish of this car overall paint restoration... I get a little lost... This is a Black 98 BMW540i heavy swirls, bird poo burns, scratches (some will need some paint touch up) the finish has just, overall been neglected by the previous owner.

I know pictures are worth a thousand words and I'll try and get some posted today...

After reading through the product descriptions I think I have a gameplan.

1.) Thoroughly wash car (i have some run of the mill turtle wax wash concentrate for this)
2.) clay the car
3.) Apply master cut compound or Pro Polish 2 preferably
4) Pro Polish or SSR1
5.) Apply Black hole
6.) Apply EX-P

Is this the proper order? Are there any other products I need to add?
I do have a rotary polisher similar to the porter cable but the harbor freight version. what pads do i need?

Thanks.

you need to add Pro Polish or SSR1 , if you really need to use a compound like Master Cut ... you might want to try something like Pro Polish 2 .. long before hitting the Master Cut ... these comments are also made with out know your level of detailing expertise, but rotary's in the wrong hands can be dangerous with proper supervision... I would stick with Black Pads for all levels of steps if you do use the machine.

heck

Advanced Helper
I suggest DA

you need to add Pro Polish or SSR1 , if you really need to use a compound like Master Cut ... you might want to try something like Pro Polish 2 .. long before hitting the Master Cut ... these comments are also made with out know your level of detailing expertise, but rotary's in the wrong hands can be dangerous with proper supervision... I would stick with Black Pads for all levels of steps if you do use the machine.

I agree, if your just starting to detail?
I would exchange your Harbor freight rotary for a dual action polisher.
For me a DA is much safer and I get a better end results...No Swirls....

ronkh

Da King
first off, is it jet black or black sapphire metallic? BIG difference in paints. Next, BMW's are the perfect reason for variable contact pads. The curves and angles demand it. When I see a reply on color and maybe some pics of the "problem areas" as well as your level of experience and expectations. I could give you more advice. But bare minimum would be.... Wash, clay, rewash, pro polish so you can really see what you are dealing with.