Milwaukee 5540

E

Eric J

Good day,

Someone local is trying to sell a used Milwaukee 5540 for $115.00. I am just a hobbyist; but would like to try a rotary. Does anyone have any experience with this particular machine and if so what are your thoughts ? Thanks for any input.

Eric

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to our forum, that is a good machine, but not really for a detailer as it is not variable speed. This is a good machine for a body shop after wet sanding as it has a constant one speed of 1750rpm ... if you check out their site they list their other polishers as variable speed ..0-2800 rpm ...
I would look at a Haitachi, or Makita if you want to try out a rotary, they are light and have variable speed and are also not that much more than the Milwaukee that you listed. Good luck

E

Eric J

Thank you for your reply. I am sure I have asked you before but it's been long ago...what is your rotary of choice ?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
The Haitaichi is the cheapest and quietest ... Makita is good when you get one that wasn't made on a Friday or Monday ... many pros use Dewalt .. nice machine but a bit cumbersome compared to the others. Their are 2 Flex rotarys .. I have just played with both, no real experience so i really couldn't say. Now for a cheapo .. Chicago Drill I think has a rotary that is loud and heavy but cheap that can be a good starter rotary, but i wouldn't recommend it.