MF Pad Application of product

sscully

Advanced Helper
Wanted to see if anyone has tried a MF pad like the optimum MF cutting or Optimum polishing pad with PB products.

I did a google site search for MF pad, and only found 1 thread, and the usage was for a different product ( thread title : E46 m3 )

The main application would be with PP on a cutting pad ( if bad enough ) and PP on a polishing pad. From my testing of the 2 MF pad manufactures I would still say a PP and black pad follow up would be needed to get the high gloss shine.
This is from my limited testing of the MF pads to date that I cannot get them to finish as well using 3 different products, and I think PP on them might finish better, vs what I find with the needed last step of a foam pad.

Any input would be great.

Until the weather drys out or freezes hard, I am too much of a sissy pants to go slogging through the bone yard to get a test hood.
Yes I know, put on my big boy pants and go do it :razz:

Scott P

Advanced Helper
I'm so out of the loop that I've never heard of these products. The only microfiber pads I've used are your standard material that have no cutting ability. I just use them for Leather Stuff or with PwS or PwC on jambs.

sscully

Advanced Helper
The MF applicator pads, I know what you are talking about. These are fairly new introductions.

Chemical Guys make a set, that is cutting and finishing.
Meguiars has the "dumb-dumb" kit
- tried it, not real impressed with the finish of the 2nd step, I had to follow up with '85' on a black pad to get it to come back to the PP'd side of the hood.
Optimum has the MF pad that is a LC yellow & White "equivalent " ( best way I can describe it ), but just about any want for high gloss has the follow up polish on black pad after using white, at least with the results I am getting.

Don't have an example to try the MF pads on PP yet. Didn't know if anyone had any input on them.
I don't have anything SSR2.5 worthy to try on the MF polish pad either.

Weather needs to make a decision, either get cold as all get out to freeze the ground, or stop raining so I can get to the bone yard. That would make like so much easier.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I have not used them, but I'm sure I will see them at Detail Fest in a couple weeks. I still don't think that the mf pads could possibly cut like wool, foamed wool, or foam in general. What also would make them not get too saturated or clogged? These are some of the questions I will be asking Eric from Lake Country. If you have any others you would like answered, post a list.

sscully

Advanced Helper
Don't know if Eric is a good person to ask, LC is in beta test on a new hybrid Foam pad.
- I have yet to see the actual pad, but I think it is still all foam, no MF ( supposition on my part ).

If the new beta test pad actually is non MF, could be LC is staying away from MF, as they know better ??
LC primarily makes pads ( and the occasional wash sponge & other ) where the other 3 make MF pads ( or have them made ) as well as product to use it with.

Could be LC is not sold on it, and is sticking with the product lines they have ?? => again all speculation on my part until someone is allowed to show the actual pad or talk about the composition of it.

I have only tried the Megs and Opti MF pad versions and they do cut / polish very well when compared to foam ( Opti to LC )
- I never cared for Megs pads, so I can not say with any amount of knowledge about them compared to the maroon / black megs foam pads.
The Opti MF polish I am comparing to LC white and it seems to do do similar defect removal.
- I don't have a LC yellow at the moment. It hit the floor so in the trash it went.

Megs I used the kit as designed, the Opti MF pad set I tried the Opti hyper combo on, as well as SIP / 106.

MF pads, they do need to either be brushed or blown out every section, similar to what one would do with a wool pad or PFW.
So in that case, they do act the same.

The amount of product applied is very little once the pad is primed with product. The Opti MF polish pad and Hyper polish I only needed 1 spray after blowing it out to get back to work on the next 2' x 2' section.

Keep in mind I am comparing PP on LC foam ( orange - green - white from memory ) to Opti MF polish pad with Hyper polish, so this might not be an apples to apples compare ??

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
interesting .. we will explore this further in a couple weeks .. Eric can usually tell me the up and down side of pads .. I listen but take it only as his opinion until I try it myself ... I would also guess that most of the mf pads right now are made in one place with different labels and colors ..but who knows..:smt017

sscully

Advanced Helper
they might be made at the same place, but they do act different.
Chemical guys calls the polish one a finish one, and claim wax can be applied with it,
The opti one is a polish pad, so it would be like trying to apply polish with a white LC pad.

Megs you know them. They make stuff and release it on what I call 'double secret probation.'.
They claim they spent 3 years working on the compound & "wax" for the pads, and a year on the MF pads and say they are made to work together.

Just saw someone that had good results with the MF "compound' on a mess using a Rotary and white pad ( orange ?? ).
Guess it is not as special as they would lead one to believe.

Be interesting to see what LC comes up with on the new beta testing pads.
I'm not that impressed with the HT pads, but that is me. I'm an old fart stuck in my ways.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
it's hard to say definitely but like clay with one mfg ..they make so many custom blends that each company calls their own ,,, but all made at the same place ..you do crack me up with the editorial :smt082

sscully

Advanced Helper
it's hard to say definitely but like clay with one mfg ..they make so many custom blends that each company calls their own ,,, but all made at the same place .....<snip>...
I am sure at the very least Chem Guys & Opti have their pads job manufactured, and how many shops are setup to do this.
I would not be shocked if LC is the one that makes them.
Small change in composition from the PFW pads. Don't know how much change that makes for manufacturing.
Doubt they sell enough pads to justify starting a shop on their own.

Megs well...you know....

.....<snip>...you do crack me up with the editorial :smt082

As the 'Ex' always said, don't laugh you will just encourage this behavior to continue.

S

Sal329

I like the micro fiber pads a lot. Meg cutting pad with D300, m105 and hd uno has been great, never tried finishing pad. Optimum polishing pad worked great for me with Pro Polish, hd uno, menz 203 and dg 501, I used the compound pad only once so far with hd uno and it worked great

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
Don't know if Eric is a good person to ask, LC is in beta test on a new hybrid Foam pad.
- I have yet to see the actual pad, but I think it is still all foam, no MF ( supposition on my part ).
QUOTE]

I've only had a chance to play with the megs cutting MF and I liked them but I plan to use traditional foam for the polishing and finishing steps. Now I would be extremely interested if the Poorboys team can get some intel on the hybrid foam pads you mentioned. I've seen a few threads around the internet on them but nothing with any meat.

heck

Advanced Helper
I like the pads n general. Megs MF do not last, very short life with cutting with their product.
Opti pads seem to be a second round improvement overall for me.
I feel the MF pads are totally product depended.

sscully

Advanced Helper
thanks for the additional info on the MF pad usage.

I figured they would have some different reaction when using a different product on them.
Good to know the opti Polish Mf pad works with PP. Figured it would, but wanted to see if someone already created the wheel before I took off on it.

The Opti MF polish pad works great if you are going at a minor defect removal with polish. I still follow up with a black pad, same as I generally do when polishing with a white pad. I have not gone white to LSP in a long time, but that is from how I learned the product I have works. I find a better finish is obtained taking the time to do a black pad polish after a white.

I would never listen to **'s suggestion of going all the way to a LSP with the "finishing" MF pad. Don't know if I buy into that story.

sscully

Advanced Helper
...<snip>...Now I would be extremely interested if the Poorboys team can get some intel on the hybrid foam pads you mentioned. I've seen a few threads around the internet on them but nothing with any meat.

found a little bit on them, you may have seen this already.

LC is playing with color schemes again.
The foam is one way, HT pads another, and then just to confuse things, the hybrid pads use a little of both system color codes.

The Blue in foam is finishing, Blue ( Cyan ) in HT is heavy cut, and in the hybird, the blue ( or cyan or what ever it is being called ) is light cut, orange is heavy cut ( no yellow ).

Yellow is still polish in the new system.
Black is now finishing ( where red / blue are in foam ).
- Why not just go all in, and surrender to the hype machine, and make the heavy cut be maroon ??

06.jpg

Looks like the fit to Flex sizing, that is similar to PB's, is being used here

07.jpg

There is also a charcoal wool, not to be confused with Purple.

I might be late to this info, you might have seen this much already. Looks like the hybird is a 4 foam and 1 wool pad family, where HT is 3 and the foam is 27 ( or what ever it is now ).

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
found a little bit on them, you may have seen this already.

LC is playing with color schemes again.
The foam is one way, HT pads another, and then just to confuse things, the hybrid pads use a little of both system color codes.

The Blue in foam is finishing, Blue ( Cyan ) in HT is heavy cut, and in the hybird, the blue ( or cyan or what ever it is being called ) is light cut, orange is heavy cut ( no yellow ).

Yellow is still polish in the new system.
Black is now finishing ( where red / blue are in foam ).
- Why not just go all in, and surrender to the hype machine, and make the heavy cut be maroon ??
also a charcoal wool, not to be confused with Purple.
Thanks for the info. Some was the same but I think you gave me more info than I had.

Why not make them Maroon?? well then they would sync up with Megs :) and they have to be different. I've been really unhappy with the constant pressure ccs between backing plates eating the pad and delamination on others I hope they work out the bugs with this set. Either way as long as prices are comparable I am sure i'll pick up one ste to atleast try them. Although since I have MF pads and plenty of black/red finishing/wax pads maybe I'll just need to play with the blue and yellow for the hybrid system.

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
I like the pads n general. Megs MF do not last, very short life with cutting with their product.
Opti pads seem to be a second round improvement overall for me.
I feel the MF pads are totally product depended.

Once I kill a pad or two i'll have to replace them with the opti ones and test them out. I detail for a hopbby and honestly I have to get friends vehicles just to have a car neglected enough to warrant these pads. Thankfully I have a buddy's truck lined up that needs some serious TLC.

sscully

Advanced Helper
...<snip>..

Why not make them Maroon?? well then they would sync up with Megs :) and they have to be different. I've been really unhappy with the constant pressure ccs between backing plates eating the pad and delamination on others I hope they work out the bugs with this set. ...<snip>...

The why not give into the hype machine and make them maroon was meant as sarcasm, guess I should have tagged that better.
- If you could not tell from this thread, I am not a big fan of Megs and the marketcture that they pump out. Back in the day I used to be 81-7-26, but after I got bit a few times with the 'sunshine machine' I stopped with them all together.

I do not have very good luck with CCS pads either, not the same as you. They just don't perform like the flat and VC pads. I got some HT pads to try, but have not gotten to them, just the Red for LSP application. Does not feel quite right to me, but I keep kicking them around.

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
I got the sarcasm, I was just trying to roll with it, unfortunately I didn't convey that well over text. :) I ignored a lot of the advice when I got my CCS pads and assumed the Hi-gloss ones would be better than the regular. Now I am moving to the regular flat ones like most of the folks recommend....ahh if I had only listened. Anyway this weekend I will finally get a chance to play with them.

sscully

Advanced Helper
Looks like LC released the new pads for public consumption today.

Velcro sides for the Flex plate ( or 5" plate on DAs with 1/4" overhang to make up the 5-1/2" plate face ) with a 45* beveled side to make 6.5" of flat pad surface.

the foam is different than std LC offerings or the HT pads. It is marketed as a Tighter and dense foam so product is kept on the surface of the pad ( thought that was the idea behind LC HT pads ?? ).

They are marketed as long lasting pads, and have a price adjusted to this concept, $12.99 street price.

The fun part mentioned above is the case with the released product.

Orange is now heavy cut
Blue is light cut
white is polishing ( same as std foam )
Black is now a finishing pad ( instead of light polish ).

There is a wool version that is slightly different than the PFW, has to do with the foam in core. Got me, I never went PFW.

There is also a 4" version in the works. Don't know if this is to a 2-7/8" plate or other. Not too sure what the LC Flex change system plate size is ( is that 4" ?? )

On the surface, it seems LC is playing with the foam density to compete with the MF pads in terms of pad loading. Supposition on my part, so take it with a big grain of salt.