Hype or Not?

Beemerboy

Helper
Over the years I have posted on many detail forums. I find one thing very consistence.

That either a product, process or equipment take on a almost hype level.

Where the posters all rally around whatever it is.

I then become suspect especially if, its a product or equipment. I wonder is this really as good as it being claimed or is it hype?

In the years of testing different products, I've read about on forums, very few have mounted up to some of the hype they where receiving online.

Anyone else have a comment about this?

I would also like to add that I am NOT talking about this forum specific, but in general of all detail forums.

Thanks

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Dave the World is all about hype ... how many people bought pet rocks ,cabbage patch dolls, beenie babies, or UDM machines :smt082

Beemerboy

Helper
Steve, I don't buy that everything is hype. But on some of these online forums it certainly is. My question was does this make it a great product? not really

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
no it doesn't Dave, but once in a while the hype is lived up to ... I think a sponsored forum with a store attached will always have more hype than an information or hang out site, but that is what they were set up to be ... love 'em or leave 'em

heck

Advanced Helper
As a middle aged man, I have learned find a product line that works for you and stay with it.
Detailing cars has been happening for years and years. How did we do with product X new and hyped up?, before it came out?

New is not always better. I also feel to many products confuse and slow me down. To much many choices.
Keep it simple and get it done! Common sense and good products will last.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
As a middle aged man, I have learned find a product line that works for you and stay with it.
Detailing cars has been happening for years and years. How did we do with product X new and hyped up?, before it came out?

New is not always better. I also feel to many products confuse and slow me down. To much many choices.
Keep it simple and get it done! Common sense and good products will last.

Great points Bill :smt023 it is amazing that when people detailed just 20 years ago it was a whole different world without PC's, Microfiber, water cannons, and so on ... lol and there were still awesome looking cars ... but in fairness the ease of use has changed tremendously. Detailers when I was growing up looked like body builders. To work a car by hand, and most of those cars were huge in comparison, on a daily basis, you were going to get pretty built up. So the hype of newer and easier did have some credibility. :smt017

sscully

Advanced Helper
Great points Bill :smt023 it is amazing that when people detailed just 20 years ago it was a whole different world without PC's, Microfiber, water cannons, and so on ... lol and there were still awesome looking cars ... but in fairness the ease of use has changed tremendously. Detailers when I was growing up looked like body builders. To work a car by hand, and most of those cars were huge in comparison, on a daily basis, you were going to get pretty built up. So the hype of newer and easier did have some credibility. :smt017

I can still recall in the 80s saving up to get the new 11" Craftsman orbital so I could replace my 9" that was on its last legs.:smt082

BTW : What is wrong with the PC ? It is not like the Flex, but it holds it own in that cost range.
Hype would be how great the G110 ( not the V2 ) was over the G100 / PC. I fell for that one ....Boy I'm stupid at times..

Beemerboy

Helper
Many years ago I had short bout with cocaine. (not a proud moment to admit this) But there was a saying I've never forgot. The first time that you use cocaine, you spend the rest of the time, chasing that high.

When I look at the hype of care car products and those that jump on the band wagon, I think of the statement I made above. They are always looking for that next best high (shine)

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Many years ago I had short bout with cocaine. (not a proud moment to admit this) But there was a saying I've never forgot. The first time that you use cocaine, you spend the rest of the time, chasing that high.

When I look at the hype of care car products and those that jump on the band wagon, I think of the statement I made above. They are always looking for that next best high (shine)

Well i don't know if i would go that far as a comparison, and sorry to hear of your wandering times :smt025 ...

heck

Advanced Helper
I understand detailing cost how much technology do to you wish to buy?
Steve "relabel" a few products and let the hype start flowing! : )
Get Hyped-up and rolling!

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I understand detailing cost how much technology do to you wish to buy?
Steve "relabel" a few products and let the hype start flowing! :)
Get Hyped-up and rolling!

New and Improved are not part of the Poorboy's Hype ..lol but maybe we can stir up a few scent changes ;)

sscully

Advanced Helper
New and Improved are not part of the Poorboy's Hype ..lol but maybe we can stir up a few scent changes ;)

Better not touch Nattys Blue or Red or the QD+ / QW+ scents. The Mrs likes them too much.

That is why she suggest the heart shaped container of Nattys red for VD gifts.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
very funny .. I only had to deck one woman in my life .. in self defense of course :smt102:smt062