Help, not too sure what to do.

R

Rob918nw

Decided to have a go at giving my car a really good clean and hopefully get rid of some of the swirl marks. I was advised to try PB Black Hole, which I did. First washed then clayed the car then used BH and finished off with Nattys Blue. Car looks nice and shiny but swirls are no better. Any advice re removing swirls? Also when I next wash the car do I need to re apply BH and is this OK over the Nattys Blue or will this make a mess, not really too sure what I’m doing ? :smt017

Thanks

heck

Advanced Helper
In my opinion, your best bet would be to polish your paint. Black Hole is a glaze and does hide some defects.
If you apply BH over Natty's it will not last long at all as BH has no protection in the product.
I can not see the swirls so I would be guessing if I told you a polish to you, but if your working by hand expect this to be a very slow process.

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
Heck gave you some good advice. Fundamentally you need to understand what is going on with your paint before you can correct any defects. Swirls are very fine scratches and are below the surface so you have to use a polish and abrade them away (or at least to the point that the light doesn't catch them and your eyes don't notice). Your other option is to cover them with a glaze and reapply as needed. Glazes are not a permanent solution but they are safe e.g. they will not damage you paint and you can apply them as often as you like.

Working by hand a glaze may take several coats to hide swirls and it may not hide them all. Working by hand for polishing is only going to pay dividends on soft paint and even that will be agonizingly slow. If you can try to take a pic with the sun over head that will help everyone steer you in the right direction.

R

Rob918nw

So should I have polished before using BH then wax ? Been told my paint is very hard (3 series BMW). Ill put up a couple of photos of the swirl marks over the weekend, appreciate any advice.

ronkh

Da King
So should I have polished before using BH then wax ? Been told my paint is very hard (3 series BMW). Ill put up a couple of photos of the swirl marks over the weekend, appreciate any advice.

If you want some help from someone who has NO REPUTATION...... :smt074 What color?

R

Rob918nw

Took some photos of the swirls but it wont let me attach them to this post. Car is Le Mans Blue.

ronkh

Da King
Without good pix, it's kind of tough to give you great answer......But if you're not working with a machine, best advice I can give would be apply bh, remove, apply bh remove. THen EX-P, remove, let cure, 1 or 2 coats of bh, then the nattys blue. Machine would be a complete different thing.

ronkh

Da King
what I described above if you gotta do it by hand should be best bet. if ya got machine its a different story. just remember you know where the swirls and scratches are so your eye is gonna go there first. it'll always look worse to you.

R

Rob918nw

ronkh, Wow very impressed with your pics, what a shine. Have I got this right then,no need for a polish just 3 or 4 coats of BH then nattys wax ? Dont understand whats EX-P ?

Thanks for the advice :smt038

ronkh

Da King
If you have a polisher, that's the best way to go. My above suggestions were by hand (no polisher machine) EX-P is a sealant. so it will buy you some extra time before they show again. the process by hand again would be bh, remove haze, - bh, remove haze, then ex-p remove haze, let cure, bh - remove haze, bh, - remove haze. then natty's blue. then get your sunglasses

heck

Advanced Helper
RonKH, has helped you a bunch. I would do as he suggest and then:
If you in no rush, I would use Pro Polish 2 with a green pad, and do a test section. See how the paint cleans up.
Time can not be an issue, work a small section until you have the surface looking to your liking.
Myself I would only the top sections, Hood and trunk one at a time. Maybe 1.5 x 1.5 sections.
This will be a work of love, slow and steady will win the race. This will be long slow progress. You wll have a sore shoulder, so work a little and take a break.

R

Rob918nw

Not got a machine but going to try all this by hand. Will get some EX-P and give it a go. THANKS for your help and advice :cool: