Glass Cleaner Streaking

mancusoe

Helper
I purchased a gallon of the glass cleaner and so far every window that I cleaned with it streaks. I have cleaned windows, patio doors, and car windshields. I have tried paper towels and microfiber towels. I know it is the cleaner because if I use something else, it doesn't leave any streaks. Any ideas, I spray the window then wipe it clean and then flip and finish drying.

Thanks,

Ernie

johnnyb

Advanced Helper
I'll start off by saying I haven't tried out poorboys glass cleaner. Reguardless of what product I use, I have a hard time with streaks (interior windows mainly, exterior no complaints).

For me it was solved by having dedicated glass towels, washing them twice, and going over glass with chaser towel very well. Interior front windshield is the least favorite part of detailing for me, I'd love to hear some feedback from anyone who has it down more simplified! :p

ShawnF350

Advanced Helper
I just tried the PB glass cleaner on Sunday about 50 degrees temp. I did two cars exterior windows only. I spray a mist on each window on a 45 angle. The windshield half at a time but same 45 degree mist. I don't spray the whole window down. Then I wipe with a microfiber towel. If it gets too damp you'll need to follow up with a dry microfiber.

For the inside windows I find it best to spray a mist onto the microfiber then after wiping, the window, follow up with a dry microfiber.

I did try doing some windows (not poorboys) on my cars and storm doors a week ago when it was in the 30s and it streaked badly. I think due to condensation. That's another factor if your in a cold area.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I just tried the PB glass cleaner on Sunday about 50 degrees temp. I did two cars exterior windows only. I spray a mist on each window on a 45 angle. The windshield half at a time but same 45 degree mist. I don't spray the whole window down. Then I wipe with a microfiber towel. If it gets too damp you'll need to follow up with a dry microfiber.

For the inside windows I find it best to spray a mist onto the microfiber then after wiping, the window, follow up with a dry microfiber.

I did try doing some windows (not poorboys) on my cars and storm doors a week ago when it was in the 30s and it streaked badly. I think due to condensation. That's another factor if your in a cold area.

I have to agree with Shawn & Jonnyb and add that a very little amount (bad for me , good for you) is all that is needed ... using too much will definitely cause streaking as well as towels that have been used for other purposes. I prefer to do like Shawn, and actually just light spritz a microfiber and then do the windows, in and out ... it is a very concentrated cleaner ... also as Shawn mentioned, variables like humidity and temperature can play havoc with glass and your mind ;)

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
A tip for the others that have a hard time getting streak free glass: Buff thoroughly. If you leave some cleaner on the glass the surfactants will continue to attract dirt to them and will end up showing streaks within a day or so even if the glass looks clear initially after wiping.
Another technique is to use a professional squeegee. (The type without a sponge next to the blade.)

Of course, neither of these points are likely to affect you, Ernie, as you mentioned your technique seems to work with other products. If you can't seem to use less, you might try to water the cleaner down. (I haven't used the PB cleaner either, so I can't say whether or not this will work, but it may.)