Getting the best from SSR Range

Dyllayla

So I have been valeting for years now but never done any machine polishing. I have now decided its time to do it.

I have bought a DA Polisher, and SSR3, 2.5, 2 and 1, along with a cutting, polishing and finishing pags.

I have been told that, for a beginner, a different brand was good, but I love Poorboys and wanted to stay with the brand I trust.

So as a beginner to DA polishing, can someone give me some helpful hints and tips on getting the best out of the SSR range.

I have two cars to do, a very badly neglected black Vauxhall Astra and a Red faded to pink Ford Fiesta, and possibly a badly swirled Blue BMW

Many thanks for any advice, I am quite nervous about trying the machine polishing but its time to finally try it.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
For the faded red you may be better off using Pro Polish.
I would recommend skipping the SSR3 until you are very comfortable with the products and techniques. It's aggressive.
SSR2.5 seems to be regarded as the most versatile of the line. Depending on the pad used you can go from restoration to finishing step with just 2.5.
All the SSR line is pad dependent. Try experimenting with more and less aggressive pads with each product. (Obviously you won't get SSR3 results by using SSR1 with an aggressive pad nor SSR1 results from SSR3 and a finishing pad.)
If you are not comfortable with the machine (DA's are pretty fool-proof) stick to SSR1 and a polishing pad. You can get used to the machine without doing much deep polishing. One thing people tend to do is move the DA too quickly and over too large an area. You need to give the machine time to work the polish into the paint and to break down the polishing agents. If you are polishing your neglected car in an hour you are going too fast.
Another tip is to work one area until you find the right combo for that particular issue. It is a waste of time to do the whole car and then find that you should have used 2.5 instead of 2 or a polishing pad instead of a cutting pad. Do one fender until you like how it looks then repeat for the next section.
Again: take your time to get the best results. Rushing won't get them.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Hoping to do little write ups on Poorboys World products as time allows
πŸ˜‰

Today I thought we could start with the ever popular SSR range.
SSR stands for 'scratch & swirl remover' & they do a very good job doing exactly that
πŸ™‚

They come in different abrasive grades which is indicated by the number. 1 being the least aggressive & 3 being the most. Ssr 1 - 2.5 are what's referred to as diminishing abrasives. This means over the time spent working the product, the abrasive element gradually gets smaller & smaller as it's being worked. The purpose of a diminishing abrasive is to finish down to as fine a finish as possible, which potentially could leave you with a surface ready to accept a little refining with a less harsh compound, or straight to wax/sealant.
SSR3 however is a mechanical abrasive....which I'll come to shortly
πŸ˜‰

SSR 1 - 2.5 can be used either by hand or machine & is capable of remaining workable in direct sun. When looking to remove defects or just brighten up your finish, always choose the least aggressive product to start with. This also applies to your method of application. Ssr1 is a fine finish abrasive, so use a fine polishing pad/applicator. Ssr2.5 is a medium cut, so adjust your applicator accordingly.
If your using a microfibre/generic sponge applicator then the strength of your arm dictates the results your going to get
🀣
πŸ˜‚

The compounds can be worked until they have gone 'opaque' in appearance which indicates the abrasives have broken down completely on the panel. Then you simply wipe off, inspect & continue accordingly. You don't need a lot either !! On a dry applicator/pad apply a small amount of product & work into the surface to prime it, then 2-4 pea sized drops is all that's needed for working the section. Work in small sections & spread your product a little before going to work
πŸ˜‰

Now....SSR3. This amazing product is a heavy duty cutting compound with mechanical abrasives. This means the physical size of the abrasive wont diminish & will continue to cut for as long as you work it !! It can be used by hand in small isolated areas such as scratches etc, but ideally needs to be used by machine for the full benifits to be reached.
Ssr3 will NOT finish down to a high gloss finish !! Its sole purpose is to remove defects, so factor in a refining step if you decide to go down this route.
Again always take the least agressive approach to get the job done.
The entire range have excellent lubrication properties & have a long working time with minimal dusting.....providing you dont over apply the product
πŸ˜‰

All in all it's a great range that will always have a special place in my detailing arsenal
Hope you found this informative & I didn't bore you to death
πŸ˜‚

Any questions.....fire away & feel free to add your own input
πŸ˜‰
After all, sharing is caring.
Stay safe folks
😜

Craig Whitehouse

i copied this from our FB forum ;)

Dyllayla

Thank you so much for all your help, thats been very informative and has made me feel much more confident. Going to try my first attempt tomorrow. Cant wait to get started :)

Thank you so much :)

Dyllayla

I have all 4 Ssr products, but which brand of pads would you recommend, for cutting, polishing and finishing, for a first time DA polisher who is also a weedy weak female ??

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
We use Lake Country pads .. unfortunately they are not carried in the UK by our distributors, but you might find someone with them
I would stick to finishing pads until you get the hang of it .. let the products do the work, not the pad

Dyllayla

Thank you.

You may not be familiar with the brand, but I have already been given some Auto Finesse Revitalise Pads. An orange cutting pad, yellow polishing pad and a red refining pad. Woukd these be ok to use with the SSR range to save me having to go out and buy more ?

Or alternatively, my local store does a pack of 3 meguiars soft foam pads, one for each cutting, polishing and finishing. Would these be better ?

Sorry to be a pain, just want to get it right :)

Last edited:

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Stay away from the cutting and polishing pads at first, no matter what the brand, until you are familiar with the cut each product has on its own.
Then you can determine if you want to add more cut via product or via pad .. remember the pad does not stop cutting, but the product will.
Two abrasives , pad and product, leave a marred surface for further correction. One thing I don't think anyone pointed out was the speed needed to work the SSR's .. they need fairly high speed after spreading to breakdown and work out imperfections ... on scale of 1-6 at least 5 ..good luck

Craig W

Thank you so much for your help, thats made me feel much more confident in what I should be able to do :)
Dyllayla, have a look at Flexipads. I think they are based up by you too lol.
They do quite a few different ranges, but I just stick to their regular range. Not too bad on price & I have been able to wash & re use mine a few times. Their 'hex' pads are ok & the microfibre pads are pretty good, but would only recommend those if you have a compressed airline to blow the pads clean & keep the fibres fluffy

JustJesus

Helper
Thanks for shaing Craig's write up!!!

SSR 3 might be one I may not have??? I better double check. I DO have Master Cut, though.

How does MC compare to SSR 3? I'm guessing MC is more aggresive?

Craig W

Thanks for shaing Craig's write up!!!

SSR 3 might be one I may not have??? I better double check. I DO have Master Cut, though.

How does MC compare to SSR 3? I'm guessing MC is more aggresive?
In my opinion I find master cut to cut faster than ssr3 with a longer working time. I'm not sure it's much more aggressive....maybe a little, but seems slicker & more lubricated than ssr.

JustJesus

Helper
Thanks! One more....hehe.

What type of pad do you prefer with it? Seems i get a tad bit more dusting with MF. At least sometimes.

I need to try more wool options

Craig W

Thanks! One more....hehe.

What type of pad do you prefer with it? Seems i get a tad bit more dusting with MF. At least sometimes.

I need to try more wool options
I haven't used a wool pad for years πŸ€£πŸ˜‚ I find MC to be fine with my pads with a rotary, but ssr3 clumps up real fast on anything except foam !! I do like to slightly dampen my pads with clean water before polishing, but I'm talking 1 small spritz & stick to around speed 2 (1100rpm) & just work nice & steady with hardly any pressure. I'm in the UK though so I think our humidity can effect how quickly it dries & dusts, but speed & heat will dry both compounds out pretty quickly

JustJesus

Helper
Thanks for that response and great info.

You definitely right about the humidity. I've experienced that myself, from working closer to the beach and using the same combo more inner-city.

I just tried MC with Griot's Garage MF pad and it worked pretty well together. Great combo, actually. Sometimes, I do spritz the pad, much like yourself.